Sign In   Register

Topic

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161363

Your advise my good friends would be appreciated. I have a 2005 115 TF that's been running happily on 205 Pirelli p6000' on the rear end and Continental Premium Contacts 185's on the front. The Pirelli's didn't handle very politely in the wet and reached a point where replacements were required. This I did recently with the famous Toyo Proxes T1R's. Pressures were set correctly however the handling is worrying. The car feels very floaty at speed and cornering is disconcerting.
Suspension set Is fine. Is it the mix that might cause the issue? Pressures set at 26psi front 28psi on the rear. Proxes have 130 miles on them in dry driving conditions. Cont's have around 9,000miles even wear.
Your thoughts would be of great value. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161366

From your description I think you have the Malaysian manufactured Toyos. Previously these were manufactured in Japan and had an excellent reputation for handling, but something was changed in the composition when the factory changed. Based on comments I have read both here and on other forums the handling is worse on TFs due to the different suspension setup.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161367

Thanks for that. Tyres bear Japan as manufacturer so assuming they are the Japanese jobbies.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161368

i had continental tyres on my zr............i think originally contis were made solely in germany..................mine said ....made in malasia,engineered in germany...

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161370

I had P6000's on my F when we bought it, they were rubbish, car used to wander all over the place. I fitted T1R's all round and they are brilliant, happy at over 100 mph of the German autobahns. However they are the Japanesse ones and, as said by weekend monkey the Malaysian ones are getting a poor press.

However I suspect your problems maybe down to mixing brands although I thought TF's ran higher pressures than you have quoted.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161371

Cheers guys thanks for the prompt responses. Will investigate further and hopefully resolve the issue without too much expense! Your advise is appreciated.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161372

Taken from the guide in the how-to's on the left

MGTF Tyre Pressures

Normal driving conditions lbf/in bar

195/45 ZR16 (front) - 26 lbf/in ......... 1.8 bar
215/40 ZR16 (rear) - 36 lbf/in ......... 2.5 bar

185/55 R15 V (front wheels only) - 26 lbf/in ......... 1.8 bar
205/50 R15 V (rear wheels only) - 36 lbf/in ......... 2.5 bar

175/65 R14 T (spare wheel only) - 32 lbf/in ........ 2.2 bar
195/45 R16 Z (spare wheel only) - 32 lbf/in ........ 2.2 bar

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoothyman

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161393

my tf has185/55/r15 front----26psi...........................and 205/55/r15 on the rear at -36psi..........as talkingcars as already shown :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoothyman

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161417

Please, let us know if altering the pressures improves the situation. :broon: .
David
:shrug:

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161421

Will advise with pressure changes. Have noted that rear offside is a 2013 year of manufacture. Rear nearside has no manufacture date shown. Can't for the life of me recall when the new compound came into use.
Again thanks for your responses. I'll keep you posted on developments. I have dropped a line to Toyo UK just to see what they have to say. Have a good day everyone.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161422

Just completed a run on a stretch of the M25. Had used a precision tyre pressure gauge and set the pressures as recommended 26 front 36 back. Bloody awful! Over 50mph constant steering correction as the front end swayed.
Now the dilemma is, do I put Toyo's on the front or chuck the rears away and fit another recommended make?
Happy days.

Tyres 8 years 9 months ago #161426

I would always prefer the same tyres on all four corners.
Apart from the wet handling was the car well balanced before fitting the Toyos?

People almost always report good results from Toyos all around. I've never run them so can't comment. I can only recall a couple of negative feedbacks, although there are reports of unusual handling for the first 100 miles or so. I don't really know why this should be and I've never experienced the phenomenon with the tyres I use. They are good to go from fitting.

Budget tyres I like nexen 6000. I'm currently running uniroyal rainsport 2s and was happy with the grip from the outset.

If you give a rough idea on location there may be a member close willing to temporarily swap wheels to try different tyres. As you mention the M25 I presume you are a long way from me,:lol:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT