Sign In   Register

Topic

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161347

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on when it was time to throw in the towel....

Not having an unlimited source of funds to pay for repairs and parts I was wondering when you reckon its time to stop peeing money up the wall.

I love my MG and I've not had her for long (2 months) it was left to me by my mother and its almost depressing to get on my back and have a look under the car.

Exhaust, subframe, arches, sills, pipes, brackets, hoses etc all could do with either some serious work or replacement.

It appears from these forums that these cars only work for about half the year before you need a major repair at no minor cost.

I love her from the first time I drove her and the sentimental attachment from being left it by mum and really really want to keep her but it just seems that I'm embarking on a long and painful journey.

When/how much is enough to call it a day and cut my losses?

Thoughts guys (I'm waiting for the never ever give up response from those with the money and time on their hands so be nice ;-) )?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161348

Can you not do most of the minor bits yourself, that saves a lot of money. Bits are easy to come by these days. I spend so much time under mine lately fiddling trying to make it better.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161352

I run my F all year and it just keep on going, barring the usual wear and tear items.

For me, as long as the bodywork is relatively rust free then I'm OK with keeping it. Anything else is not too expensive to fix if you use the right people.:shrug:

Once the body starts to rot it can be very expensive and never-ending.
David
:shrug:

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161353

Same as David here - my TF is my main car. All year round in sun, rain and snow....

Most repairs are easy enough - especially if you have afriendly local MG owner to help you out with encouragement....failing that we are all here to help with advice.

What do you think is wrong with it? How long is its MOT or did it fail on something?

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161365

What most seem to forget is that these forums are places where people come when they have problems. Today on my round trip teh Gaydon for the MGF even I saw two cars on recovery trucks one was a Kia the other Bini (BMW Mini) so by that those are unreliable makes!!!

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161369

• Visitor
  • Visitor
It's all too easy to start getting niggles that make you want to give up on the car. For instance I had leaks, lumpy running, rust and most other things that make a very pretty car seem ugly. But as soon as you get things sorted you will be glad that you've kept it. I really don't have a pot to pee in most times, so I do think why don't I just get a cheapy eurobox on hp and have hassle free motoring. But been there, sold one and regretted it......until I bought another. There really are hundreds of lovely folks on this forum whom will help you no end. Even had a lovely guy drive over an hour to help me with the car-for no money, he was just a kind chap.

So basically keep it and think happy thoughts of your mum everytime the sun is out and the roof is down! ;) :beer: :hugs:

Last edit: Post by .

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161373

What most seem to forget is that these forums are places where people come when they have problems. Today on my round trip teh Gaydon for the MGF even I saw two cars on recovery trucks one was a Kia the other Bini (BMW Mini) so by that those are unreliable makes!!!

ive a kia cerato 16 crdi which i bought from new in 2007 for my mrs.......we have found kia reliable...........its now done 100,000miles and its only ever had a clutch,tyres, and a set of brakes...i will be very suprised if it even gets an advisory in december when it goes in for mot...my mrs will never part with it even though ive offered her my 2014 mazda 6......never thought of kia being unreliable.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161411

Somehow I jusy knew that my post would be taken in th wrong context ....................................... the point was/is that the ONLY two cars I saw broken done on recovery trucks yesterday were a Kia and a Bini. The point beign any mecahinal thing and especially cars have the chance of breaking down. This chance is increased with neglect and lack of maintenace and even more so with incorrect mainentance!

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161425

I have had my MGTF from new [11yrs ] and it has never broke down I replace things before they brake EG alternator changed at 65k mls before it could brake down and cause me pain, easier to replace and not that expensive
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161427

With it holding sentimental value,maybe try putting it to one side until circumstances change a rash decision and most likely £80 to the scrap yard could possibly be regretted.
A vehicle or any item of sentiment does not mean it has to be pristine or roadworthy if finances or skills are restrictive.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161429

In my book unless the body is rotten or the engine is stuffed I would spend the money to fix my car.These thing will happen with any older car it's all part of owning and running one.
Only you know how much you are willing to do or are able to spend Kryten, so it's a decision you must make on your own.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161465

As I've always said, you can buy one in good order for less than you would spend doing up a "knacker".
However, as we all know, the story doesn't stop there ;)

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT