Sign In   Register

Topic

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161567

There is no "NEED" for a LH drill bit for the hub disc reatinign screws. A normal HSS bit will do the job very well . I centre drill then drill through with a 4mm bit then open up to 6mm tapping size and retap the hole. Although the hub I have just fitted to the O/S/R of "Elsie" didn't have any broken screws in as I had drilled them out over a years ago due to it laying outside the threads had rusted slightly so retapped them as a matter of course. Screws go in easily now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161635

I'm new to the whole drilling and retapping world so I know very little and am equipped even less but it appears this is something I'm going to become quite adept at with the bolts and screws made of plasticine.
Plezier, I'll give it a go at the w/e. Might even do some before/after shots if I remember. Now just to get a tap/die set from china on fleabay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161641

Some of the Chinese stuff is not worth botherign with. Go to somewhere like "Tracyl Tools" online and buy a proper HSS (High Speed Steel) tape in the size you need and a tap wrench:-

http://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/metric-taps-dies/6-x-1-metric

tap wrench/holder:-

http://www.tracytools.com/tap-wrenches/t-tap-wrench-no-stock

Drill bits:-

http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/93384-when-is-it-time-to-give-up-and-break-scrap/reply

as you can see it's not going to break the bank exactly.

We used to buy quite a few tools and consumables from them when we operated the workshop here. Just don't try to bend a HSS tap or it will break as theya re very hard and hence brittle.

Re:When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161694

Nice one, I'll get some on order. When/if the rain stops and I get an hour I'll get under her and have a go.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Re:When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161750

When you are tapping/drilling a good lubricant will help with the cutting, will prevent bit and tap breakage and prolong the life of your cutting tools.
Don't just use any old oil (although it's better than nothing) some proper tap and drill lubricant will pay for itself in no time.
And don't forget, when tapping threads after every turn or two back the tap out a quarter turn to remove the swarf.

When is it time to give up and break/scrap...? 8 years 8 months ago #161757

Tapping technique varies with the tap design. Spial points push the swarfe forwards and are designed for through holes. Spiral flutes remove the swarfe up out of the hole but are less strong torsionally. Normal taps chip the swarfe into the flutes and do require the tap to be backed out for cleaning. I usually do thre half turns in then half a turn back and you can feel the swarfe breakign off then return to turning in again.One get a feel for it after a time.

We still tend to use Rocal RTD tapping compound at home.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT