Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #178975

Just done a mini service on the 160. Oil,oil and air filter a bit of waxoyl on the rear subframe and grease on the gear linkage .:woohoo:

Jon Norris tightens up the filter and sump plug tighter than I do :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bob. Reason: Trying Imgur host for photos

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #178992

A cautionary one this.....I burnt my leg on my TT exhaust tailpipes while unloading a crate of beer out of the boot! Now sporting a nice roundish branding scar on my lower leg. Take care when wearing shorts and unloading the boot!
At least my beer fridge is re-stocked so a few beers might take the edge off the soreness!
Sundance

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #178993

Ouch!

I have a small burn mark on my hand from the exhaust manifold on my ZT. I did it five years ago :slapme:
Hope the ring disappears.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179073

I finally finished painting my alloy hardtop. I came to realise that it's really too big a job to do in my garage with aerosol cans but
after hours of wet sanding and cut polishing I am happy with the result. It isn't professional quality but it cost half the price, and is certainly
passable. I have it fitted without the soft-top and have had a laminated glass engine cover cut to use at shows. The glass shop cautioned not to drive
with the glass fitted which is a shame but I will put it in place for all day shows.
Here are a couple of pics of the F at our local Cars and Coffee last weekend.

Here's the glass in place before I installed the rear window.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, Blow-in, cairnsys, SundanceUK

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179081

Saw an MGF with a front splitter last week at Glamis and decided I wanted one.

This was it on a very early F:

This is the one I fitted:

I like the look but will need to be extra careful parking!

I've road tested it and it didn't fall off. Do these things make a difference? I'm not totally sure but I can see that it acts as a bit of an air dam so it might???

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rich in Vancouver

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179091

Nice looking MGF!
I have the same one and haven't noticed a big difference although others swear by them.
I haven't had many issues with it hitting things but recently had it scrape coming off a very steep hill with a bad angle at the bottom.
I tossed the screws that came with mine and installed it using stainless 6mm bolts and large washers.

Richard, It looks like other than our names we have a few things in common on our MGFs; splitter, wheels, clear lights and stainless grilles to name a few.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179095

Splitters work by generating a high pressure above the splitter by forcing air to travel a long way around the sides of the car, or up and over the bonnet. This high pressure acts down onto the splitter pushing the front down.

The high pressure also acts against the front of the car, pushing it back against the driving force.

There is therefore a trade off in performance for down force.

However the splitters shown in the pictures have some apparent problems!

• First is they do not appear to block the airflow above the splitter, and look like they allow the airflow to travel over them through large air gaps (is there a gap between the splitter and valance either side of the middle support???). Therefore they can not generate any air pressure.

• Second there is as much of the car nose over the splitter, so the air pressure (if any generated) would act both down on the splitter and up on the car nose, cancelling out any generated down force

The original Trophy splitter is a different design, and you can see how it eliminates these two issues, even though it is very small.

Even the minuscule TF splitter can theoretically generate a little down-force.

However all this being said, the splitters shown above do look very nice, and unless you are into competition driving, that is what really counts :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179097

A cautionary one this.....I burnt my leg on my TT exhaust tailpipes while unloading a crate of beer out of the boot! Now sporting a nice roundish branding scar on my lower leg. Take care when wearing shorts and unloading the boot!
At least my beer fridge is re-stocked so a few beers might take the edge off the soreness!
Sundance

I don't fetch my beers in the tf ...as well has the burn risk..I find that the local delivery service can get more beer to your door using there mule service..heres a picture of my last delivery.

And ouch Sundance that looked painful.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179099

Hi Rich,

I also tossed the screws and used stainless steel bolts/washers etc - it's easy to reach-in to tighten them. Yes, our cars do have quite a bit in common but mine is actually a 2001 ('Mk2') but with the windscreen/shield surround painted black as per the Mk1s which I prefer, especially with the black soft top.

Your car is a very striking colour.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179100

Thanks for the thoughts on splitters which I agree with, This version does block/impede most of the air flow over the top of the splitter in the centre as it butts on to the vertical down flap at the back of the bumper and rather than a long gap, there are 2 quite small ones (so perhaps someone has looked at is scientifically?). There is a bit of splitter ahead of the bumper. I think it's more of an air dam than anything else but as you say, it looks good!

Richard

Added a not very good photo of the centre slot

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Blow-in. Reason: added photo

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179109

Drove out of the garage. Washed the TF in the rain. Drove back into the garage and dried it off. Hoping that next Sunday will be dry and sunny.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 9 months ago #179113

Sundance

I don't fetch my beers in the tf ...as well has the burn risk..I find that the local delivery service can get more beer to your door using there mule service..heres a picture of my last delivery.

And ouch Sundance that looked painful.

We don't have much ale delivery availability out here in the sticks. The wound has scabbed up nicely now and looks a proper mess. Looks like my 160 has branded me for life!
Well its time to pick the scab......that reminds me, I feel a bacon sandwich coming on!

Sundance

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT