Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178098

Fitted an LE500 steering rack to my F, massive improvement although seems slightly heavier than before but it helps handling no end.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178102

Replaced the rear plastic screen on my TF ( which was in good condition, just a little foggy in places) with a nice new hrw glass version, a straightforward job that I am very pleased with .

Added some anti-lock straps at the same time which really help with hood folding.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by AntonyM.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178132

I've not done much on the F in the last couple of weeks due to the "deck half the garden for a hot tub" project.

Today I had fun going to the dentist to have 4 rotten teeth removed, I was meant to go into work after but decided I'd rather feel sore at home. By lunch time the 7 (or 8) injections were starting to wear off, the Essex lip was going and the extra strength Anadin had kicked in and I was wanting to do something.

I couldn't do any "project deck tub" as Mrs TC would have noticed when she got home and told me off (should be resting) so instead I fitted the front TF LE500 shocks (price match from Rimmers against a full set at £345 on eBay ;) ) using the new nuts, bolts and bushes but not washers as they were out of stock that I bought separately from Rimmers.

Now, here's a question, 4 fully built shocks (and a pair of beam deflectors) cost £9 postage, 6 nuts, 4 bushes and 2 bolts were £7! How does that work?

Once I'd done the shocks I chopped the two halves of the old sub frame in to bits small enough to go in the car to go to the scrap man.
My new diamond disc made light work of that, wish I'd got one years ago.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178133

I almost forgot, I had to chop up much of the lock nut for the O/S track rod end as it would not budge, unlike the N/S that was only just over had tight.

Managed that with the 115mm grinder without catching the thread of the track rod, was impressed with that.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178151

Once I'd done the shocks I chopped the two halves of the old sub frame in to bits small enough to go in the car to go to the scrap man.

I probably spent more on electricity cutting it up than I got from the scrappy, £3.73!

Thankfully it is about a one minute drive.

The following user(s) said Thank You: COMMANDER

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178167

That's an excellent repair Bruce. :clap:

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178168

Trying to get rid of it. I have no feelings for this car and have no intention of keeping it, the sooner it goes the better.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178186

Got to use the best £20 I ever spent - an air chisel and drill at £9.99 each from Aldi :clap: :clap: Replaced top and bottom ball joints both sides. The air chisel made short work of removing part drilled out rivets.
Fitted servo brace and tried to replace bearing in noisy wiper motor -gave up as some plastic parts had broken up and bearing would not budge ,would have destroyed the casing in removing :bat: :bat:
Invested in new old stock from Glen in Walsall.

Gave up fitting upgraded gear change bell crank kit as roll pin would not budge (fear of bending selector rod) -will drill out with 7mm cobalt drill unless anyone has an easy solution?:-? :-?

Plan to weld brackets and fit my bargain Toyosports back box next week.

This only leaves fitting nearly new hood,replace rear screen,refurb all 4 alloys,paint rear calipers and disc centres to prevent rust ,cam belt and water pump and removing surface rust and repainting the underside.(get to use chisel with needle pins ) :woo2: :woo2:

Do I own an MG or is it the forth bridge ??

These cars are certainly a labour of love !!

As work got in the way it has taken a couple of weeks !

With a bit of luck I might find the time to drive it .B) B)

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178196

This only leaves fitting nearly new hood,replace rear screen,refurb all 4 alloys,paint rear calipers and disc centres to prevent rust ,cam belt and water pump and removing surface rust and repainting the underside.(get to use chisel with needle pins ) :woo2: :woo2:

Just a quick observation on painting the rear calipers. I did mine about 15 months ago, wire brushed to bare metal and painted with caliper paint. Already rust is coming out and destroying the paint, so I have just done another set (10 quid from MGFnTFbitz) and this time I have used Jenolite rust killer on them after wire brushing off and before painting. Hopefully this will help to keep them looking better for longer.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: VX54NEW

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: Missing quote brackets.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178197

Just fitted another Burgundy red steering wheel to my TF, courtesy of our own Glennrover!
Glenn is a dab hand (every pun intended) at re-colouring leather and he did a spare steering wheel for me with the more unusual coloured side sections instead of top and bottom!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178227

Today replaced my radiator with an updated aluminium race rad, better cooling for 30 degree heat. Also replaced the damaged bumper armature. Will have to fix the crack in the bumper next and respray. Took the opportunity to flush the coolant as well. ( Excuse the finger ).

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178240

Ordered some new front discs and disc screws.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT