Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126533

Hi all,
I was following another MGF today and the wife pointed out that their roof folded completely flat with nothing projecting above the boot line. Her MGF roof doesn't fold flat and the rear view is greatly obscured when the roof is down, not to mention the tonneu cover doesn't fit.
It has a glass screen which probably doesn't help or is there a knack to making it disappear into the parcel shelf recess. Does the screen need to be unzipped to allow the roof to be fully collapsed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126534

I noticed that the roof doesn't sit as far down after fitting the glass screen. It still allows the tonneau to be fitted, though. It has settled further down as time has gone on.

Have you got a photo?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126536

After you undo the front catches lift the second bar as you fold.
If this solves the problem you can get elastic straps that do this for you.

Don't force it flat as it has been known for the glass to shatter.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126537

I've noticed this too.

There seems to be two different roofs..

Mine folds flat.. But Freestyle (Tina) and Dawns don't fold flat..

Different frames?
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126542

My roof folded..

Seen loads that don't go down as far as this...

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126544

The only difference in roofs that I am aware of is on early mk1's which have the sporster style hood with 2 seams down the length but I thought they still folded flat.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126547

Mine deffo doesn't fold down totally flat.... Will take pic of it tomorrow and post it... I tend to put the cover on for long journey which flattens it down a bit... They are a pain to put on but it looks better than the roof sticking up a bit...

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126548

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Check that the rear screen has bedded down flat. :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126555

It's not so much the rear windows.. It's the frames..

Next time you're at a show and people have their roofs down.. Have a look.. Some lay flat.. Others sit up..

Like there are 2 different frames.. :-?

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126556

Mines a sticky up type, I just thought that's how they are but I might pay more attention now. Maybe it's in the adjustment of the frame? I dunno as I haven't really looked at the frame and probably won't bother doing so until I get around to replacing the roof material.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126566

It's probably down to the fitting of the frame to the car. There is adjustment possible on the 4 bolts that hold the hood frame to the car.
I'm guessing that loosening these 4 bolts, then dropping the hood would allow you to have a flat folding roof. Of course this would then affect the fitment of the roof to the side windows etc. So, if you have leak free windows I would put up with the sticky up roof. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

MGF - Roof won't fold flat 10 years 8 months ago #126596

The only difference in roofs that I am aware of is on early mk1's which have the sporster style hood with 2 seams down the length but I thought they still folded flat.

Early Mk1 MGF's had side seams but NOT BAS Sportster Hoods! Late Mk1's, Mk2 & TF's had the later design with extended front corners and dispensed with 'side seams' with a 'one-piece' top section. As can be seen in this MGE article: http://s591.photobucket.com/user/MGFMania/media/MGFManiaP74March2011.jpg.html

All SHOULD fold flat, resting on the bump stops, MGFMania Glass HRW Panels certainly do...If it doesn't have the MGFMania logo in the glass it may not fold flat! http://s591.photobucket.com/user/MGFMania/media/5GoldRings.jpg.html

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT