What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106331

Tone, You make me sound like Satan tempting Jesus in the wilderness! :bust:
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106332

B&G do a brake servo bracket, see link below

http://www.brownandgammons.co.uk/product.aspx?CID=a6438a2a-06ce-45d6-a18f-943e9e1c4240&SID=c4feec96-671b-4087-b1b1-8163c24fafbc&PID=687d6b8b-d8d1-4cfc-8057-a7cd197aa4c9

Not easy to fit if you have aircon, but OK otherwise (apparently)

They don't have any in stock though, I have one on back order and there's no date right now. Who ever makes them for B&G apparently are having issues.

THe 1144 pads will set you back somewhere in the region of £90, expensive yes, but you can't put a price on human life.

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206153

Does anyone know where to buy Mintex 1144 pads for standard callipers? (2003 TF 135 with 240mm front rotors). Ideally I would like them from a known supplier to avoid fakes.

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206170

I did my own big brake kit, Mini R53 front callipers, Mini 294mm brake discs and ATE ceramic pads. This may seem a bodge but when you do the numbers it will outbrake the AP four pots and 304mm discs and the ATE ceramic pads were the best performing ones on the ADAC test, better than Brembo high performance ones. Combined with the suspension upgrades and a servo brace it both stops and handles with incredible confidence. It also fits under 15” wheels.

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206177

+1 for MGB281's upgrade path. Whilst the optional AP racing 4 pot calipers are pretty good they can make a costly upgrade path as they dictate the need for 16" wheels with the correct clearance.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206181

I appreciate that pads that run hotter are potentially better. But I’d be interested to hear what people think about “standard pads”.
I’d be reluctant to improve the rear without improving the front, although possibly unlikely there might be a situation where better at the back increases the chances of the back end overtaking the front!
In my case much of the road system is restricted to 40 mph or less or dual carriageway. The opportunity to “exercise the capabilities of the machine” are sadly few and far between.
So I’m seeking standard and it also saves the problem of another upgrade for insurance purposes.
So my question is Borg and Beck (first-line), Mintex, or Delphi?
Any thoughts please?

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206185

I’m running a parallel course to MGB281 by using his recommendation of Mini Cooper callipers but with the matching Mini discs. I’m still in the making stage with spacer designs being worked on as we speak.
The entire project is a budget build with some quite reasonable parts available at reasonable prices, the pads I’ve bought for this “experiment” we’re recommended by a chap who can afford to buy the best Names but recons these are fine. We will see, probably within the next week or so.
Attachments:

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206187

Don’t upgrade the rear before the front, it’s asking for trouble.
Chris, I used both Mini callipers and the bigger Mini discs at the front. I used EN3B steel for the brackets and some stainless steel spacers off eBay. Just move the mounting holes 2mm inwards and some spigot rings and you done. At the rear standard callipers with MX5 276mm discs. If you are changing discs and pad’s anyway then the only real cost are the mini callipers and a bit of quality steel.

Last edit: Post by MGB281.

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206194

I would like to thank MGB281 for piloting this modification, it is proving a very interesting project.
My approach is slightly different from the original outline, I am using Mini Cooper discs front & rear which I have machined to fit & I’m making a bit of a meal out of making the adapter plates, which are now pretty, will be unseen & the complexity unnecessary.
I was hoping to have had it all done & dusted before month end, the proposed re-taxing point, but senior management has booked a couple of weeks away & as she thinks I spend too much time in the workshop, dragging me down to Henley will act as a break (or brake).
M

What Pads Should I Use ? 1 month 1 week ago #206202

There is no right or wrong choice with the brake discs providing they are properly cantered, I was fortunate that aluminium spigot rings from eBay centred the discs with only a modification with a flap wheel. Once you get to around 275mm rear discs you no longer need to use countersunk bolts for mounting the callipers, just use Allen bolts. I have already had one SAIC rear brake calliper fail, actually the previous owner did, he fitted them and then took them off, he said he preferred the OE ones, I paid £60 on eBay then immediately bought a NOS one to replace the failed one.
My next experiment is with MX5 rear callipers, the hand brake cables fit without any mods. They are a much more modern design with bigger pads.
Texstar brake pads are part of TMD Friction who make Mintex, Don, Pagid, Bendix as well as supplying oe manufacturers.
EDIT
I am currently in NZ so cannot confirm but you might need the 294mm discs for it to work. I won’t be home for a month.

Last edit: Post by MGB281. Reason: Adding information
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT