Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106259

Hi Guys,

I've replaced the discs and pads all round on my "F" with std pads. And whilst this improved the braking its still pitiful, in fact on one excursion this week I was looking at using a farmers gate as additional braking .No ABS by the way. The problem is when you drive modern machinery these days with ABS, Brake Assist, Traction Control etc,and then you jump in the little "F" you forget that you need to adapt driving to suit. Frightening and sitting on a poultice comes to mind.

Anyway, as always I'm digressing. Without going to a bigger disc set-up, involving bigger wheels (15" to 16") new tyres calipers and more expense, the bank manager can't cope anymore, would changing the pads to something like EBC Green Stuff help.

Thanks as always guys for your comments they are really appreciated.

Tone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106263

I'd probably go with Mintex 1144's rather than EBC. EBC are notorious for flaking.
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth overdoing

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106264

Thanks Andy will these be OK for normal road use not neccessarily, shall we say spirited driving?

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106269

The 1144's are classed as fast road, but will be fine for normal driving.
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth overdoing

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106270

1144's will be fine for road use. They work from cold unlike EBC products

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106272

Another vote for the 1144's - some will say they eat discs, which in effect I guess is true as they are a fast road pad. I do wonder though if these comments come from people that fitted 1144's with EuroCar part discs.

They'll be fine for road use as unlike the more aggressive Mintex compounds, these work well from cold. It's my ethos to always have more stopping power than you hope to ever need, this is why I have 1144's even though my TF is a daily drive. Stopping in 22 meters or 20 meters could be the difference of hitting a child who's run out into the road or not, I hope the 1144's give me 20 and not 22!

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106273

Thanks for all your comments it looks like I'll be spending some money with Mike Satur or whoever sells them.

Good old internet.

Tone

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106277

Tone,

the MGOC stock Mintex pads for £19.35 for a front set for a F....doesn't say what number they are but the MGOC can advise. A comparable green stuff kit is £56.50. The MGOC also stock a wide variety of discs including their own club grooved discs @ £89.95 a pair.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106278

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.I changed to these and was impressed with the improvement.

I would add that bracing the brake servo bracing the brake servo makes a real positive change to the brake pedal feel too. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106316

Thanks Richard for that info. I've put a call in, they aren't M1144's, but they reckon they're a good replacement for the std pads.

Thanks David, Amazon are doing them a few quid cheaper and no P&P. I notice how you were tempting me to spend more money by slipping that little item on the end. Brake Servo Brkt. I refused to look because you would have had me running off and buying one. Anyway there's nothing wrong with my servo, I've put a couple of heavy duty cable ties around it to stop it moving.

Tone

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106322

i wouldnt worry, you cant buy a brake servo brace anyway. You have to make them

What Pads Should I Use ? 11 years 1 month ago #106329

B&G do a brake servo bracket, see link below

http://www.brownandgammons.co.uk/product.aspx?CID=a6438a2a-06ce-45d6-a18f-943e9e1c4240&SID=c4feec96-671b-4087-b1b1-8163c24fafbc&PID=687d6b8b-d8d1-4cfc-8057-a7cd197aa4c9

Not easy to fit if you have aircon, but OK otherwise (apparently)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.759 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT