Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53046

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop
Thanks for the help Alan, but I think I'm gonna have to admit defeat on this one.

-=Visit my Website!=-
The topic has been locked.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53048

I thought you a better "digger" than that Tui!
The soup link is Campbell - now have another try (for my sake) - 2 MC's and OBE's - using the name Campbell (and Alan's additional clues) work out the other half of the pairing and then you will see the connection (I hope).
If it was not so wet I would be in the Garden instead of here!!! Still the sun is golden if everything else is a little hazy!!??
Alan has the answer I suspect!!

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia
Last edit: Post by Mr Forgetful. Reason: Additional comment

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53087

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop
I had Campbell, but can't seem to link everything together :( C'mon Alan - put me out of my misery.

-=Visit my Website!=-
Last edit: Post by tui.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53091

I had Campbell, but can't seem to link everything together :( C'mon Alan - put me out of my misery.

Yes - C'mon Alan please :broon:

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53166

Nice to be in demand. Sorry I couldn't respond quicker but I've spent the day visiting my daughter in Stoke On Trent so been unable to get to a computer.

Andy Warhol famously painted a picture of a can of Campbells Soup.

Vea Lynn sang "There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover". (Before any one says anything I'm not that old!)

Bluebird toffees were a popular brand of toffee at one time.

The MC is therefore Sir Malcolm Campbell who held both the Land and Water Speed records in vehicles called Bluebird. His son Donald Campbell died on Coniston Water, Cumbria in 1967 while attempting to add the Water Speed record to the Land Speed record he had already held since 1964.

Eyston's Magic Midget took the mile and kilometre records previously held by Campbell. I found these films while researching
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/baby-car-record-beaten and http://www.britishpathe.com/video/record-days-are-here-again.

I also found this site set up by the Campbell family http://www.bluebirdspeedrecords.com/ and also http://www.racingcampbells.com/content/cars.html

I am having trouble finding an association between Campbell and MG, beyond the fact that he had an unspecified new sigle seater at some stage, and also whether he had an OBE. His wikipedia page seems nowhere near detailed enough, for such a major figure, to me. Eystons seems better to me
Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53169

Sorry - the Campbell was supposed to be the link between the two MCs OBEs. I hoped the post I did regarding the Garden and Golden sun might help. It's getting too convoluted so this is the answer :bang:

Capt. George Eyston MC, OBE and “Goldie” Gardner MC, OBE.
American WW2 aircraft was a Thunderbolt, Soup was Campbell, sweet was Humbug and Magic was Magic Midget.

Captain George Edward Thomas Eyston, MC OBE

Famous racing driver well known for racing supercharged MGs such as the Magic Midget and K3 Magnette. Probably best known for land speed records set with his car Thunderbolt between 1937/39 frequently wrestling them from Sir Malcolm Campbell.

He was also an engineer and responsible for the invention of the Powerplus supercharger used by MG.

Alfred Thomas Goldie Gardner MC OBE

Another famous racing driver who, after accompanying Sir Malcolm Campbell to Daytona Beach in 1935 returned to England to concentrate on racing.

On 31 May 1939 just before the outbreak of WW2 driving his special engineered MG, in Dessau, Germany, Goldie Gardner took the 750cc up to 1,100cc class records over 2 kilometres, 1 mile, and 5 kilometres distances, at average speeds of 203.5 mph, 203.3 mph and 197.5 mph respectively. After an overnight engine rebore, on 2 June 1939 at the same venue he gained the 1,100cc to 1,500cc class records over the same distances at average speeds of 204.3 mph, 203.9 mph and 200.6 mph.
In 1951 at Bonneville Salt Flats, with his supercharged MG streamliner EX-135 (aka Humbug) car he obtained 6 international and 10 American records in the 1,100cc to 1,500cc engine class. In 1952 he returned to Bonneville with the MG

So they were both associated with Campbell, both had the same decorations, both raced MG's and Eyston designed the supercharger used by MG and Gardner.

I'll go back to Oz for a few weeks and watch incognito :oops: Would either Alan or Tui please submit a new question :coat:

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53182

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:woohoo: Congratulations and many thanks to everyone who has taken part and supported the MG Quiz by viewing it and providing such interesting entertainment over the past 30 weeks.

We have all made some good friendships and learnt so much from the variety and depth of MG knowledge displayed over the 332 questions.

The MG Quiz has proved so popular that this thread has become so large I have had to close it. To visit its successor, click on this link ‘MG T-Bar Quiz’

Over the last week of this the original MG Quiz, the highest scoring girl in the MG Quiz to date put in another impressive performance, finishing in front on three points closely followed by MartinW on two.

What a shame to have to close it just before hitting £3k replies!

and almost 65,000 views. :yesnod:

Don't worry Hari, I'm sure the MG T-Bar Quiz will prove just as popular. :woohoo:

:slapme: .. well there goes two MG related facts we can't use for questions :lol:

Attachments:
Last edit: Post by Bertl.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53217

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:woohoo: To take part or simply view the new quiz, click on this link ‘MG T-Bar Quiz’

I look forward to seeing you over there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963
Last edit: Post by Bertl.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT