Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52301

This year is the 50th and 30th anniversary of two MG models that shared a similar engine and drive train arrangement but had differences in their suspension.

Describe the differences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
The topic has been locked.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52314

The 2 MGs are the transverse engined MG 1100 which debuted in 1962 and the similarly engined (Both A Series with the gearbox in the sump) MG Metro introduced in 1982 2 years after its Austin cousin.

The suspension difference is that the 1100 had "hydrolastic" liquid suspension using interconnected spheres filled with pressurised fluid. The Metro on the other hand features the much loved Hydragas Suspension which half of the T-Bar are so familiar in which the spheres are half filled with with nitrogen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52319

Quite correct, Alan, over to you for your question.

I spent yesterday afternoon pumping the suspension up on my 1300 and it is a painfully long job when the system is empty. If anyone near Chester needs a top-up on their suspension, I have a pump.

I also thought the Metro had cross-linked suspension at the rear, and I think I read Roger Parker's article in the latest Enjoying MG where he states that Alex Moulton produced a Metro with and interconnected suspension.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52321

Are you copying my answers, John?

woops, did not see that page of yours [ great minds think alike ]

well do on getting it right
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52361

OK Question 317 (according to PQD44)

Which 1970s Kit Car based on the BL 1100/1300 featured the MG1100/1300 radiator grille?
Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52371

Is it the "Magenta"? From a company called Lightspeed Panels and started in 1972.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
Attachments:

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52373

I'm going to work on the premise that the answer above is correct, just so I don't disappear before setting another question. AGAIN!!!!! :spank:

This time the question is NOT about an MG. But there is an MG link...

Recently, a car sold for over £40 000 when it was only expected to fetch less than half that. And it wasn't exactly in concours condition! What was the car and hence the MG link?

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52374

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20141/lot/307/

A 1959 Austin Mini Seven Deluxe in an as found in the barn condition and totally original.

The link to an MG? The A Series front wheel; drive arrangement as on the MG1100 just 3 years later, designed by the same man, Alec Issigonis.
Last edit: Post by MartinW.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52375

Well done Martin! VERY quick, almost before I set the question!!!! :beer:

Thought to be the 8th Mini off the Longbridge production run...

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52377

I am a bit of a fan of the Mini, too.

And staying with that theme what was the ADO number of the concept MG Midget based on a Mini? It was a pretty little sports car and probably would have sold quite well. It can be seen at Gaydon.
Last edit: Post by MartinW.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52381

ADO34? Also known as EX220.

Prototype of a new Mini-based M.G. Midget from 1959. Abandoned in favour of a badge-engineered version of the Austin-Healey Sprite. Only the rear end was taken over for the Midget. Longbridge version ADO34. The Abingdon-developed version was also known as EX220.

Re: MG Quiz 11 years 11 months ago #52398

Sorry I wasn't as qick to come back but yes, ADO34.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT