Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107906

Hello all

My first message here. I have multiple Rover/MG's. Rover 75 V8's etc, I have just bought this with the hardtop http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mgf-se-steptronic-convertable-1800cc-automatic/1012267162 . Seems a nice guy so going to try and get it to down to the Midlands at some point.

I know this is Wedgewood blue and a limited edition etc but can anyone give me any pointers what to look out for, is it just the normal 1.8 etc.

He has not done the head gasket as away so I will get sorted. He has said that "the car is stripped with the head done, checked and valve seats cut" just needs to be refitted.

But being useless with these things not sure what else needs sorting.

Was £450 with the hardtop, as it was the colour that appealed it seemed a good price, although getting it here will add to the cost I imagine.

Dominic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: added pic

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107910

Hello and :welcome: to the t-bar
your car has the std 1800 engine
If as you say the head is off you will need a gasket set [ RIMMER BROS ] and also new head bolts
Do you know if the water pump has been changed if not get one while the head is off and new cam belt and alternator belt
good luck with it
John
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107917

:welcome: :welcome:
[IMG]ht[/img]

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107920

:welcome2:
I would be tempted to get the car rebuilt up there and drive it back. There is a mobile mechanic based in Glasgow.
David
:shrug:

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107936

Do you have the details of the mobile mechanic, that might be an idea

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107941

hello and :welcome:

PS we need photos of the car :broon: .................................... its the law

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107943

For other members contact details - Mark the Mechanic - 07873243663 He is already a recommended mechanic on MGFreedom
David

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107945

Thanks for adding the photo. Just the logistics of getting from Glasgow to Near Tamworth. I have registered at Uship and will see what the quote is. But fixing up there seems a good idea.

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107948

My pleasure.
i would imagine, in terms of cost effectiveness, getting it fixed in situ and you driving it home will be much cheaper.
David

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 2 months ago #107951

:welcome: The Hardtop Alone is worth £450, This limited edition car was introduced in July 2000 and was based on the MY2000 car, only 650 made and 500 sold in UK. I can do a build search for you if you PM me with the full Vin number, engine number and registration number All of which can be obtained from the V5C :yesnod:

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 1 month ago #109253

I am getting it fixed in Scotland as seemed the best route. I am going to buy the parts so I need a head gasket set and while at it I will get the cambelt and water pump changed. Can anyone point me in the best place to buy, are these ebay kits ok?.
MG MGF 1.6/1.8i Car Replacement Timing Belt Kit and Water Pump
Completed

HEAD GASKET SET AND BOLTS MGF MGTF MGZR MGZS MGZT 1.4 1.6 1.8 16V
Completed

MGF Wedgewood SE 11 years 1 month ago #109387

No idea, sorry. Jon Norris (Rough Luck Racing) had some problems with cheap ebay head gaskets coming apart at the seams. I would advise buying the genuine MG Rover parts from Brown & Gammons, Rimmers, MG Owners Club or Sussex classic Car Parts. Saint Russell will only fit MG Rover water pumps as the cheap ones are not worth fitting. Your MY 2000 car should have the wider cambelt and auto tensioner which does not normally need replacing. Gates cambelts are good.

Normal price for a head gasket set is around £55.00 and a set of stretch bolts is minimum of £33

Hope this helps

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.971 seconds