Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Road tax - petition 1 month 2 weeks ago #206092

My attention has just been brought to a potential intention to increase vehicle tax for vehicles such as the MGF and MGTF.
It may sound like a petition to request a reduction but sometimes that can lead to an increase instead.
There is a petition to sign if you feel opposed to the suggestion.
See https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/654884

Thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Road tax - petition 1 month 2 weeks ago #206093

Delbourt, I wish you luck with the petition.

In context MGF VVC is 600 euro per year road fund license in Republic of Ireland.

Mat

Road tax - petition 1 month 2 weeks ago #206094

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Road tax - petition 1 month 1 week ago #206099

I have signed that but it's not gained much traction in the wider community. I think it much more likely that the government (any flavour) here will seek to copy the draft EU legislation covering 'End of Life' (ELV) and 'Residual' vehicles. This is legislation dressed up in environmental clothes that seeks to remove older 'less green' vehicles from the roads and make sure we all have to drive shiny new non-ICE vehicles. What it actually means is that they create aa artificially inflated (for those who can afford it) new market for volume vehicle manufacturers. My word, they can't have us all adopting the actual environmentally beneficial idea of not buying new stuff all the time and fixing or repairing older cars.

https://environment.ec.europa.eu/topics/waste-and-recycling/end-life-vehicles_en

At first, glance, the proposed legislation seems innocuous enough but the definitions make some woolly statements adaptable to almost anything. Under the definition of ELV is this sentence: Another criterion is linked to the fact that a vehicle cannot be economically reparable, i.e. that its market value is lower than the costs of the necessary repairs to restore it in a way that it can obtain a roadworthiness certificate in the Member State where it was registered.

That suggests that anything that is a economic write-off (easy for our vehicles) would not be allowed repair and must instead be deemed ELV and scrapped. There is some stuff about parts being removed for use in the repair of other vehicles but this also talks about those being traceable and controlled, meaning it will fall within the purview of specific dismantlers and not the hobbyist and you just know it will increase costs.

Although this is all relevant to the EU, I would not be at all surprised if this idea rears it's head in our parliament in the very near future. It is a market creator dressed up in fake environmental jargon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Airportable, Notanumber

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT