Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184407

Hi All

Having wasted many many hours trying to remove rusted nuts on my MGTF, which may have been due to overtightening, or just locked solid with crud. I was wondering if anyone has used nut splitters to solve this problem and hopefully save days of wasted effort and many tins of Plusgas

Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184408

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Yep, used them. Main trouble is getting ideal access. You need to position the splitter than get a spanner on it. My bro taught me how to split 'em with a sharp cold chisel. Bang across the flat then bang along the thread. Gone. Magic. Must be something on You Tube?
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184412

Like mentioned..it's all down to access...stripping engines day in day out at our works....rusty exhaust bolts and nuts can always slow the job down....we do have nut splitters at hand.....but you know what?.....there never used .cold chisel is the method....a good qaulity one that is...not one made of cheese and a nice lump hammer...not a toffee hammer. ....flanged nuts are a extra bit of work....watch that thumb if your a crap shot with the lump hammer.

And when those rusty nuts no longer fit the socket then we use nut gripper sockets like these from irwin....they bite into the rusty nut instead of slipping off like a standard socket.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184416

Yep, I have to agree with mgtfbluestreak on this one . The rounded off bolt kits are brilliant . The comment about being a good shot with the lump hammer . I used to have an apprentice working with me and his nic name ...... Lightening ! Never struck twice in the same place .

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184421

Also dump your 12 point sockets and get decent 6 sided ones. Much less chance of rounding off rusted bolts in the first place.

Never needed a nut splitter, just plenty of penetrating oil, good six sided sockets (not those "high torque" rounded edge ones!) and occasionally heat.

Nut Splitters 6 years 1 month ago #184440

Yes the 6 point socket is the best..but don't get rid.of yer 12 pointers...working on German engines the buggers use 12 point bolt heads ..so only the bi ex 12 point fit....also some odd size tx bolts are used and a 12 point can be used on a tx if you ain't got the right socket at hand.

Oh no are we talking abut sockets and spanners...love em...can't get enough of them...I spray mine with wd40...I'm addicted..can't stop buying them...my toolbox is getting fat.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT