Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #171981

Got home the other night after a good 30 mile run- went out to the car a couple outs later and it had dumped a load of Coolant on the garage floor. There was still coolant left in the header tank. The puddle was to the right of the exhaust box behind the right wheel arch. Took the right rear off to find the area open to the elements - is there a panel missing? Can't find any sign of a leak so topped up the tank and see what happens - any suggestions? Also if anyone knows a mg friendly garage near Aberdeen or Dundee? Would be good to get it on the ramps... thanks in advance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #171983

There is a guard missing - it's one of these
MGTF MGF REAR WHEEL ARCH ALTERNATOR INNER MUD GUARD CLK000020
Completed

This is one for a TF which is better than the original F version and can be made to fit using scripts and cable ties. It's worth fitting as it protects the alternator from road spray.

Can't help with the coolant dump other than to suggest it might be worth changing the expansion cap and to check the hoses at the back of the engine.

Nor with garages in the Aberdeen area - maybe one of our Scottish members could help with that.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #171984

Hi,
Sounds like it is the inlet manifold gasket, these manifolds are plastic and do tend to warp over time. Happened to me some years ago, dumped the coolant on the garage floor. New upgraded gasket fitted and all is ok.
Maybe wise to fit a coolant level sensor kit from Brown and Gammons.
Cheers
David

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #171988

Thanks guys - will have a closer look - what is access like and will it require the coolant being emptied?

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #171991

Looking the images It looks like you have a TF not an F so you may well have an alloy inlet manifold which are normally trouble free, however directly below the manifold is the steel coolant return hose and plastic thermostat housing (you may have a remote PRT but the empty thermostat housing is still fitted) on the plastic thermostat housing are 2 "O" ring seals, one at the block end and one at the steel pipe end, if you get a mirror and a torch you will be able to check in that area for leaks.

Brian.

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172002

Thanks Badger,

Yes it's a tf 160. Still trying to find my way around the engine. What's the easiest way to work on these? Access seems pretty limited...

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172007

Have you found the engine access panel?

Another possible cause for a leak is the water pump.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172018

Talking cars - I have found the panel where it should be but it's missing from my car. Need to get the car higher to have a look...

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172019

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172033

Well it seems to be running off one of the main pipes under the car - access wise it's a nightmare between the engine and rear bulkhead. If I'm going to change 1 hose - am I as well to change a few? The goose clamps look like they will break so need to stock up before I attempt!!

Re:Coolant leak 7 years 6 months ago #172068

Well only seemed to be leaking when under load - went round and tightened all hoses up and leak stopped. I do have a small oil leak which seems to come from the top up/dipstick area and running down so that's the next tackle!! Chuffed that it's been fixed.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.118 seconds