Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151038

Ok, so its a very boy racer thing to do, installing led's to light up at night but sod it, ive done it anyway and i think it looks wizard! (yep, im bringing it back!)

Went on ebay and ordered a pair of waterproof 5cm 3 LED strip lights for just shy of £3 including postage.

These are very flexible, give a good broad light and come with an adhesive backing. A quick test on a 9v battery told me they were perfect for the job. Also bought for £2 or something a set of 50 x bullet connectors, already had the wire stripping and crimping tool so a couple of quid saved there.

Stage 1: Connect your wire (i used speaker wire for in car lighting as its cheap and usually have loads lying around, used it for years and never had an issue with it when it comes to these sorts of jobs) to the courtesy foot well lights inside. refit light and run the wire under the carpet all the way to behind the seat, remember to pull seat forward.

Stage 2: Pull carpet back from door edge and find the white looking plastic hole half way up that the carpet pins push into, use a screwdriver to push through the plastic inside, a flatblade cuts through it without pushing the actual plastic bit into the door, you just want to make a hole inside it no remove it. Push wire through leaving loads to play with, refit carpet and slide seat back.

Stage 3: remove side vent including interior, 2 screws for the trim, then three to remove the inside bit.

Stage 4: drill a very small hole at the top of the inner vent, get your led strip, push the wires through the hole and stick it at the top with the adhesive backing.

Stage 5: the end of the first wire will be inside the car so put you hand in the vent and pull the end out, strip the wires on the one from the lights and leds and using the bullet connectors connect them up. Open door to test light is working, if not reverse the wires and they should work.

Stage 6: put everything back together and check its all secure pushing excess wire (if you havent cut it off) back into the recess of the air vent before screwing it all back in place.

Stage 7: Wait for night, go outside and open your door, stand back and admire your illuminated side vents. these will only come on when the foot well lights come on and will dim out also so they are not on all the time pleasing Percy the prying plod!

Hope this was helpful to someone.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, JanCo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Sithmaull.

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151039

This is useless with out pictures :woohoo: :P :woohoo: :wave:

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151045

Seriously! Pictures!

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151046

Some nice (night-time) pics or video would seriously enhance this novel guides chances of making it into the T-Bar's famous how to guides section. Thereby increasing your opportunity for fame, fortune and immortality, at the very least. :yesnod:

Other than that, it's a yes from me. :broon:

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151047

Ok i can take a hint, i'll do some pics on monday as i have a few other things to do at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151056

Ha ha good man !!

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151062

:woohoo:

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 7 months ago #151109

Ok i can take a hint, i'll do some pics on monday as i have a few other things to do at the same time.

It's a clever idea and I'm looking forward to seeing these in action. :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sithmaull

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 3 days ago #158287

I like this idea!

Im a complete kid when it comes to lighting so i'll be adding led strips inside attached to the dashboard lights.. they looked awesome im my ZT :)

The idea of the car glowing as I get out sounds cool :)

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 3 days ago #158295

Hi, have you got the pictures back from the chemist yet.

Illuminated side vents - My 'how to' guide. 9 years 3 days ago #158297

If you mean me then the guide was completed ages ago lol.

http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/54-how-tos/92219-the-all-new-illuminated-side-vent-how-to-guide#151168

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT