Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148897

Just purchased from a seller the new style center console, mine currently has the square style gear surround and ive got a complete new console with the clock, oil gauge & the oval silver surround and gaiter etc. he said that its pretty much the same but a tiny bit of modding is needed. has anyone got any idea on this before i start or is there a guide written somewhere that anybody knows of?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148899

You'll need your guages as they are different wiring. Also the electric window switches as these are also a different fit. If i remember rightly you need to shave a bit off the edge of them to get them to fit the holes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sithmaull

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148900

Ok, looks like i may be writing my first how to guide then while doing this. Will make sure i take lots of pics to help others who may want to try this mod. First job for tomorrow sorted then... depending on weather.

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148901

If you've got just the consol front it's not as straight forward as you think.

You also need the heater control panel and the longer knobs as the mk1 is set back a bit further than the mk2.

Your clocks and window switches fit but you need the mk2 fog light switches and if fitted the HRW switch too as they are a different shape.

Once you have those it's a straight forward job which should take around an hour to do.

Good luck..

Also, while you've got it in bits you might as well shorten the gear stick.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148902

Hi,

I obviously have all the parts in my mk1, the new unit came with clock and temp gauge, window switches, blank switches, gaiter and silver gaiter surround.

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148909

You'll need the heater box and knobs and any switches you have replaced by mk2s also.
David
:shrug:

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148912

Ooh yes forgot about the heater control box!

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148918

If you've got just the consol front it's not as straight forward as you think.

you also need the heater control panel and the longer knobs as the mk1 is set back a bit further than the mk2.

Your clocks and window switches fit but you need the mk2 fog light switches and if fitted the HRW switch too as they are a different shape.

Once you have those it's a straight forward job which should take around an hour to do.

Good luck..

Also, while you've got it in bits you might as well shorten the gear stick.

Mmmmmm.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Centre console upgrade from Mk1 9 years 8 months ago #148937

Well that was a pain in the ass, they dont give much wiring to work with do they??

Ok, story so far, removed the old console, the newer clock and oil gauge are the same fittings and connectors so thats fine, stereo is just a stereo so thats cool also, had to swap the newer e/w switches for the old ones and slightly modify the connector for the fogs by trimming a bit of plastic off the connector but thats sorted, then came the pain in the ass!!

as you guys mentioned the heater controls sit too far back, theres a very large gap all the way round so will have to order a new one of them, again, no worries there. but in order for the e/w switches to slide back into the dash i had to remove a piece of plastic from the old heater controls at the bottom (at this point i was praying that the heater controls wouldnt look too bad with the few console and didnt realise the extent of the gap) so a got the saw and went to work, that problem sorted. theres a thick black wire from the E/w controls that you need to bend out of the way as theres a tray in the new console and it was stopping it from sliding into the dash. Now, at the bottom theres 2 metal rectangle holes for the console to clip into and due to the storage tray they are in the way and wont let it go in.
At this point i just pushed it a bit to see the fitting of the old heater controls and you guys were spot on, massive gap so i gave up and had to put everything back together and replace the old center console. :bang: :bang: :bang:

So, to summarise if you want to do this mod you will need new heater controls, a hack saw and a lot of time and patience. Ive taken a few pics along the way to help others but when i get the new heaters i will make a proper how to guide on this.

While i was there i did tighten up the gear box which has made a small improvement but needs tweeking still as when i put it into fifth it hits a bit of metal and then goes to the left at a 45 degree angle but it did this before so not too worried. Also decided to shorten the gear stick, great until a couple of mm in my saw went totally blunt :rant: :rant: :rant:

Anyway, not a complete waste of 2 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Django

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT