Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144886

I came to realise this week that a very small, ratchet socket set would be very useful for working on Imelda the Effer so I'm on the hunt.

I've found this...
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-mechanic-tools/socketry/socket-sets/?SEAAK695&0&t5_329
But I think I want one with a handle even if it's just a couple of inches.
Has anyone got the perfect set they would recommend?
TIA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144891

You have got to have the tools to do a good job Beth :-?
Work to live don't live to work.

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144893

heres a great little set and only £15 at the moment
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_163049_langId_-1_categoryId_255215
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144902

You have got to have the tools to do a good job Beth :-?

I spent some hours this weekend on three bolts, loosening then tightening then loosening, adjusting and then tightening and I was using a little no.8 closed end spanner because that was the only thing I had that fitted the small space I had to work in. Some of the moves were just a tiny fraction at a time. I could have finished the job doing that had I not needed to be at work so yes, if it means I can work faster I'd like to have this tool to hand.
Not unreasonable I feel?? :-?
You have reason to say otherwise??

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144903

That looks good Paul but I can't see what sort of dimension the handle is. My current socket set is fairly compact but was too clumsy for the thermostat job. Perhaps the requirement of the thermostat job are unique, hopefully I find the tools before I need to do it again!!
I never want to do it again!

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144905

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I've not failed yet with ratchet spanners + assortment of socket sets. I have 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 (two sets of both of these). And a shed load of sockets.

Just buy more it makes sense :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beth557

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144911

I've seen micro ratchets in a local motor factor, made by Laser & about 2.5" to 3" long. Probably not great quality but you're not going to be able to put much force on it anyway.

Sealey do a 90mm length 1/4" drive too

Ratchet spanners are essential in my toolbox these days too, especially if you can get them with a flexible head.

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144912

As you are a Teng tool warrior
Teng Tools do a nice 1/4" drive set :

T1436 36 piece 1/4" drive socket set covering 4mm to 13mm with regular and deep 6 point sockets and some small torx bits as below.

1/4" drive 6 point regular sockets: 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 & 13mm
1/4" drive 6 point deep sockets: 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 13mm
1/4" drive accessories: Frp ratchet, coupler adaptor, 3/8"F: 1/4" M adaptor, universal joint, 2" & 4" extension bars
Hex Key: 1.5, 2 & 2.5mm
Bits: Flat: 4 & 5.5mm. Philips: PH1 & PH2. Pozidriv: PZ1 & PZ2. HEX: 5 & 6mm. TX: TX10, TX15 & TX20

With a lifetime warranty

On Flea bay for £36.97 inc P&P link below:
TENG T1436 36 Pce 1/4" Drive Socket Set 4mm-13mm with Reg & Deep Sockets
Completed

Or Amazon for £40.99 inc P&P link below:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-4-inch-Socket-Metric-Pieces/dp/B004ISRQPM

Review on Youtube

Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Beth557

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144914

I picked up two socket ratchets from Lidl few months back (they have them every now and then) - I think they were £2.99 each or similar.

One was normal sized as a spare but the other was a small one, only about 6" long with a 1/4" drive.... at the same time I also got a set of extension rods, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 again only a few quid. Lidl (and Aldi) tools are great!

For the tiny sockets I usually go to Poundland as they are good enough for small bolts and 'disposable'!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144919

I picked up two socket ratchets from Lidl few months back (they have them every now and then) - I think they were £2.99 each or similar.

One was normal sized as a spare but the other was a small one, only about 6" long with a 1/4" drive.... at the same time I also got a set of extension rods, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 again only a few quid. Lidl (and Aldi) tools are great!

For the tiny sockets I usually go to Poundland as they are good enough for small bolts and 'disposable'!

Lidl & Aldi are my usual tool shop too but you need to time it with the offers. I have a Lidl 1/4 socket set with torx and screw driver heads too that is my go to set for fiddly jobs. At these prices you could lose the plastic handle cover and cut down the handle if you wanted to.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Last edit: Post by Blow-in.

Miniature socket set...? 9 years 10 months ago #144932

Invalid or non-existent item ID.This looks OK to me
Bahco SL25 Piece 1/4in Drive Metric Socket / Bit Set with Ratchet & Case
Completed

I have a goodyear set a bit like this one
It's great for doing the IAVC

Last edit: Post by Bob.