Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 2 months ago #139592

Can any one help me find out what's going on here!! Girlfriend just bought a tf 135 and it's deafening.... Got gradually worst, anyways got into the bay and looked about and found this direct air intake
system....

One pipe didn't even have a clip on it and the duct tape piece was pushed into the next pipe halving it in size, Iv removed the tape, put back together with proper clip for now seems a lot better, didn't have time to clean the filter but will have to.

Do you guys think this will help reduce the sound?? Could or should I replace with a cone filter?? Just need a professionals opinion.... Please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by J_dubya82.

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139604

You need a proper 90 degree pipe instead of that 'mess'. Looks as if you have an aftermarket filter is it open cone or enclosed ? Is there a cold air feed to the filter?
Really even with that lash up it shouldn't cause too much noise. Apart from induction 'sucky' noise'.(technical term.

Is the exhaust standard, in good condition, leaking?
David
:shrug:

Re:Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139611

I appreciate the reply... I'm new to mg tf repairs the initial reason for me to look at the engine was to investigate the condition of the box filter and then onto the exhaust... it did seem to be coming from the exhaust area.... Only to find what I completely agree to be lash up in the air filter, I was expecting to find a box with a filter to clean and instead found this cold air induction system, as you can see the duct tape was obstructing the full bore of the pipe and Iv no idea what condition the filter is going to be in. I presume it is within the cylinder shape unit bolted within the engine, unfortunately not accessible through the boot.... I was thinking for ease of access installing a cone filter and removing the cold air induction filter?? Is this a silly idea? Just found a pic of the filter box...

The exhaust does seem a little worn, what is the best way for me to identify what section of the exhaust if any is the problem?

Thanks again

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139613

The air intake will cause induction noise but if its not entirely gone and getting worse then exhaust is next. I would carefully check the exhaust manifold while you have the engine bay open, I lost a stud from there and had similer symptoms :doh: new stud and replacement gasket later all good. :woowoo:

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139615

You have the best set up on induction,ie an enclosed filter with a cold air feed. If you tidy up the pipe then job's a good'un!

Your exhaust comes as manifold, down pipe, cat and back box.

The downpipe contains a flexi joint under the sump, and if this has gone it will sound pretty bad. You need to get out and get under to see/hear if the noise is down to an exhaust problem.
David

Re:Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139627

Right then guys here goes... Just finished taking the car apart again to investigate and found this is the entire setup.... Looks and feels cheap as you can get..... Is it possible to clean this??

Also what's the best thing to lubricate the acceleration cable?? Not WD guess....

Re:Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139628

That looks as if you should be able to wash and clean that filter same as any cone filter. Does it come out of the housing?

The accelerator cable is ptfe lined and shouldn't need lubricating. Either the cable is frayed or it is trapped or twisted somewhere.
If the cable is frayed then replacement is the only real option.
David

Re:Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139635

That filter looks like a BMC CDA which are very good,

You can get cleaning kits that have a detergant and new oil which is essential for good filtration.

Check your favorite internet auction site.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_dubya82

Re:Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139645

That looks as if you should be able to wash and clean that filter same as any cone filter. Does it come out of the housing?

The accelerator cable is ptfe lined and shouldn't need lubricating. Either the cable is frayed or it is trapped or twisted somewhere.
If the cable is frayed then replacement is the only real option.

Cheers for the help David, I got to the throttle cable and found it was pretty slack, I played with adjuster and got it tighter but not too tight to move the valve.... Was a right sod but removed it all, replaced the filter after cleaning, and purchased a new hose and couple of new jubilee clips, looks a lot nicer.... Last but not least comes the exhaust, I got underneath and had a look at the exhaust system, came to the FLEXI cable and found this...

I could just about reach to it on the driveway and the back end of the flexi pipe seemed to be very loose from the adjoining part, almost like it is trying or has come away I'm guessing very much it is this... You've been a great help.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139647

You can buy liquid PTFE in a can.. But best way to lubricate the cable is remove entire cable from car

Drip feed liquid PTFE down it whilst its hung up

I've drip fed my brand new gear change cables and hand brake cables.. The difference is amazing
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139649

Certainly looks like a CDA box, I had one on my Corrado VR6, they do make a lot of deep induction noise if the feed pipe to the box splits.

The CDA has a carbon fibre shell, with little screws at 90* around the perimeter to hold the ends on, if you unscrew these the entire unit can be diassembled. (copies are glassfibre )

You are supposed to use an oil on it, but the Corrado guys reckoned it damaged the wires in the AFM, so I never bothered, just washed it every seldom.

Air Intake / Induction Problems? 10 years 1 month ago #139655

The actual flexipipe is under the braided cover and is like a concertina effect. The braided cover coming loose can give rise to buzzy rattly noises but if the concertina underneath is sound then you can use a large jubilee clip to tighten up the end of the braiding. :yesnod: ,
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT