Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Everyone a winner...! 9 years 5 months ago #152959

Switching from one of our cars to the other recently I fell to wondering why I was finding it so difficult to weed out our growing 'fleet'. Helped by the fact there is no annual vehicle tax here in France we seem to be accumulating vehicles - and every one of them is 'good' to drive and puts up a very good reason not to be the victim of our planned review!

The TF goes without saying - it's a hoot to drive, handles fabulously, is quick and responsive, great to look at and is my toy. It is obvious why I love it and it's outside this discussion! It has it's own challenges and is ideal for its purpose;

But how can you love a diesel people carrier? You can and I do. The Piccaso does 60-plus mpg on diesel (cheaper than petrol here), bowls along in near silence at 130kph on cruise control and eats French autoroute mileage. It doesn't 'handle' as such, but it does go round corners indecently quickly (albeit with a degree of heel), the seats come out in seconds, it will hold a sizeable proportion of the local DIY's stock and it's so relaxing to drive that the main challenge is staying awake. Probably sadly I enjoy driving it, because it's ideal for its purpose.

But who could possibly like driving a ten-year-old Suzuki 4x4? Well, I do! What else can haul our trailer full of logs up the muddy field from the river, has an amazing steering lock and short wheelbase for manouevrability and just keeps going on. Despite its over-servoed steering and lumpy ride I love driving it. It's deal for its purpose.

And now the final oddity. How can you enjoy driving an underpowered, 22-year-old Fiat motorhome? Sorry, but yes I do! It brings back the old challenges of driving - conservation of momentum, anticipation of the extended braking distances, avoiding difficult situations... just like driving back in the early sixties! We took it to Italy this year, Spain last year and probably Portugal next year. Not at all relaxing to drive but enjoyable none the less mainly because it's such a challenge. Ideal for it's purpose too.

Why do we enjoy driving? Thoughts please!
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Everyone a winner...! 9 years 5 months ago #152967

well some people take cars for granted.Imagine what it would be like if the oil ran out..........driving to work in an old fiat,would be an absolute luxury.......i myself have 4 vehicles,The 2004 mgtf 135 for sunny weekends and a bit of a hobby really,a joy to drive.Then i have a 2011 renault megane dci....turbo diesel..£20 road tax and very fuel efficient,used for holidays and motorway trips....bought this car with a trophy blue like colour,so i must have had mgs on my mind at the time..............then i have a 56 kia cerato 1600 turbo diesel.........for those door knocking visits to the super market.......good fuel consumption and has a tow bar for my logging trailer,then for those comutes to work have a 03 citreon belingo van......free tax and free fuel,free maintenance.......because its given to me by the company i work for to comute from a to b.........this is by far the best for work,.........so i enjoy driving them all and still thinking of having a mgzt.................not the flashiest line up of motors i know,but its nice to have a choice.................chris evans as got a lot of cars,so why cant i.....ther fun and while im still fit enough to drive im going to enjoy driving them..............not sure if ive answered the original question why do we enjoy it........... boring life without them......... :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Everyone a winner...! 9 years 5 months ago #152972

:welcome2: and bonjour!
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrenchTF

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT