WHEEL NUTS

Replied by digcot65 on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #206934
Hello I finally have removed the one stubborn wheel nut and the two small securing screws for the disc.However this disc is proving as difficult to remove as the O/S one I`ve tried it with the pullers and a long lever on the socket spanner no luck .So tomorrow I`m going to heat the centre section of the disc and try more leverage on it .When I removed the O/S one I found the ring of rust on the inside of the smaller diameter was holding it so crossing fingers You can see on the new disc just above the wheel nut hole the area where the rust seems to collects .I`ll let you know how much swearing it took to shift it Len
Last Edit:3 weeks 4 days ago by digcot65
Last edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MGB281 on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #206935
When you reassemble use a good thick smear of copper grease around the periphery of the hub and the inside of the brake disc. Don’t put any on the hub face because you need the frictional grip to drive the wheels without stressing the wheel studs. I really admire your work and perseverance
Philip
by MGB281

Replied by trevtherevs on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #206936
It was my choice of tool on many things with the TF and each time was a winner. From brakes to engine mounts and subframe it an inexpensive, satisfying method.
The following user(s) said Thank You: digcot65

Replied by trevtherevs on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #206937
Impact driver and lump hammer, if anyone wondered what i was on about

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #206945
Morning ,the disc is proving as difficult as the O/S one,if not worse.Iam very reluctant to try using a nut and bolt,throught the mounting bracket.knowing my luck the bracket would crack,then real problems I have it under tension with the puller and a 4foot bar to tighten it .If i get the chabnce today I`ll try getting the hub hot with my Oxcy Acet.torch,it seldoms lets me down ,where rust is the problem Len

Replied by Cobber on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #206946
Ah the blue tongue spanner, nothing like thermal expansion to loosen things up

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #206952
Hello I finally managed to get the disc off With a puller on it a few hammer blows and I tried the trick suggested by members of using a nut and bolt through the caliper fixing holes.I now have to clean the front suspension and chassis sections before I underseal the lot .Then to apply grease in the areas recommended ,reassemble the brakes ,ask my wife to help me bleed them " she is a great bleeder" and another few jobs ticked off the list .I bought the car for something to potter with when I feel like it age and health are against me for really going at it hammer and tongs.As long as I have something to play with and get everything right that`s my plan Len
Last Edit:3 weeks 3 days ago by digcot65
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Cobber.

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago #206966
Disc is finally off .I can now wire brush the suspension and chassis ,then underseal it , finally fit brake assembly and bleed the system Len

Replied by Airportable on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago #206967
That’s all been up hill so far, is it time to come scudding down the other side yet?
M

Posted 3 weeks 23 hours ago #206973
Cross fingers the brakes work after all the trouble or I may hit another obstacle Len

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 3 weeks 22 hours ago #206975
Don't whatever you do, put the oem wheel locks back on...:nonod:

David
:shrug:

Posted 3 weeks 22 hours ago #206976
Hello do you mean these .If so why not ,have I missed something Len
Last Edit:3 weeks 19 hours ago by digcot65
Last edit: 3 weeks 19 hours ago by Cobber.

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds