Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188303

Hi all
I have a 2004 tf and the srs light has come on,I turn the ignition on and start the car,
The light is on it blinks of then on again and stays on I only have air bags on the car
Any help will be great

Please Log in to join the conversation.

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188304

hi there-the SRS ( Seat Restraint System) is there to monitor seat movement in the event of a serious front end impact.

If an impact is detected a signal is sent to the SRS controller and this can then activate the air bags in the MGF/TF.

The underseat plugs /sockets can get corroded or become loose -these can be yellow or red depending on model year -they need to be checked carefully.

Remove the negative terminal of the battery and wait for approx. 10/15 mins to allow the static electricity to discharge from the SRS system. Push the seat back as far as possible to get to the connectors then check them by disconnecting and reconnecting -look for corroded contacts and spay with a suitable contact cleaner not WD40. then refit the negative connector

Another area to check for SRS problems is the car battery voltage (is it at least 12volts)and charging when the car is started .

Regards

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borypops

Last edit: Post by g4wam.

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188306

hi there-the SRS ( Seat Restraint System) is there to monitor seat movement in the event of a serious front end impact.

You learn something new everyday, I thought it was Safety Restraint System and deployed airbags and seatbelt pretensioners as appropriate in the event of a collision.

If an impact is detected a signal is sent to the SRS controller and this can then activate the air bags in the MGF/TF.

The sensor is inside the SRS ECU which is under the centre consol.

Remove the negative terminal of the battery and wait for approx. 10/15 mins to allow the static electricity to discharge from the SRS system. Push the seat back as far as possible to get to the connectors then check them by disconnecting and reconnecting.....

MG/Rover recommend a minimum of 10 minutes.
I find sliding the seat forward and tilting forward works best.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188308

Mike

Are you sure about what you wrote!

SRS stands for "supplemental restraint system".

Not only does it control the airbags, but also the seatbelt pre-tensioners, which are what the connectors under the seats are for.

The control unit under the dash (passenger side) is what detects the severity of an impact and triggers the airbags/seatbelt pre-tensioners.

Your comments about checking the underseat wiring are totally correct, as is a common cause of false SRS warning light. :broon:

ooppss double posted with talkingcars :whistle:

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188309

I only have air bags on the car

Do you mean you have removed the seat belt pre-tensioners?

Unless you have fitted resistors instead which fool the SR ECU into thinking they are still there you will get the warning light.

If the warning light is on the SRS system is disabled.

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188310

Thanks for that I will check them tomorrow

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188343

The SRS light is constantly on in my F as well. I've had the red connector under the driver's seat apart and have cleaned the contacts using electrical contact cleaner, reconnected and the SRS light is still on.
Mark
95 MGF

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188347

The SRS can be triggered by the connector under either seat or the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel.

The only way to really know is to read the SRS ECU through T4 test book or www.pscan.uk

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188387

Hi
I checked the leads under the seat and whamo the light went out, how you are supposed to do any maintenance unless you are a contortionist with baby hands I don’t know, probably have to take the seat out 😁

SRS LIGHT ON 5 years 6 months ago #188392

Yep , seat removal to sort it and good luck with the bolts
. The gorilla at Longbridge who fitted my TF seats must have used the biggest air gun posible to tighten the Torx bolts. Pity the same bloke wasn't assembling the drive shaft stake nut on both of my rear hubs ! ! ! :rant:

John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT