Passenger window not working

Passenger window not working was created by gerrynash

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169118
:-? Hi,
I have just bought a 2002 MG TF. The passenger window does not function. I've checked the fuse which is OK. Operating the window up down switch whilst holding in for two three seconds simply produces a delayed "click " in the door panel and nothing else. The click suggests a signal is getting through from the switch. Before I pull things apart can anyone with experience of a similar fault problem and rectification help with a diagnosis.
Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169120
:welcome2:

You can eliminate the switch by swapping the two window switches around. That should narrow the problem down.

David
:shrug:

Replied by SundanceUK on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169123
Usually the plastic gear wheel in the window regulator mechanism wears down. (Its the one driven by the worm wheel on the motor). Once it is worn enough it will slip and stop the window from moving. Cheap to get a used one usually about £25 and a 30 min job to swap it over. See the how to's on the forums.
I have changed three now over the years.
You will need to adjust the window glass so it is a good fit to your roof again after fitting...again its all in the how to info.

Sundance

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Render ebay item Invalid or non-existent item ID.. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by gerrynash on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169131
Many thanks for the info. Is it not possible to just change the window lift motor and regulator without changing the whole window framework mechanism thus avoiding re alignment to accommodate glass movement up and down? :dry:
Gerry.

Replied by talkingcars on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169132
IIRC the various parts are riveted together which makes changing components difficult.

Make sure you grease everything well before putting the door card back on.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Replied by GT MG SPARES LTD on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 2 days ago #169134
Might be worth taking the door card off and checking the glass as not jumped over the stop as they have a tendency to wear.
If this is the case the glass will not come back down and the motor jams hence clicking noise.
Just another suggestion to rule out.

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Render ebay item Invalid or non-existent item ID.. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by gerrynash on topic Passenger window not working

Posted 8 years 1 day ago #169148
Thanks everyone for your info. Looks like I have to replace the door motor mechanism and lubricate window slides, when the rain stops, :yesnod: which could be next month!!
Thanks.
Gerry.

Time to create page: 2.294 seconds