Fuel and Ethanol content

• Ian S
  • Ian S's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer

Fuel and Ethanol content was created by Ian S

Posted 8 years 1 month ago #167767
Had an interesting discussion with the owner of some Yamaha bikes particularly the RD500 V4 2strokes.
Seems that a number of the older models don't like the Ethanol content of modern fuel, this may be 0, 5 or 10% depending on supplier and type of fuel.
Symptoms are seal failure rubber components degrading etc
Is the MGF TF susceptable??
by Ian S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by helsbyman on topic Fuel and Ethanol content

Posted 8 years 1 month ago #167769
Well uk petrol only has 0.5 its the euro zone which has 10% as far as I know
The F/TF will not suffer bikes are very different to cars

BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Replied by mgtftone on topic Fuel and Ethanol content

Posted 8 years 1 month ago #167770
Hi.
The amount of Ethanol in petrol has long been a concern of Classic Car owners. Not only because of the adverse effect it has on our (ageing) seals and gaskets but on tlhe general running of the engine. In my own experiance my Anglia has suffered similar problems. But as our car seals etc tend to be old it can be difficult to say what the real villain is. :(

Fellow classic car owners complain their engines can run to warm. This can be in keeping to the properties of ethanol. And can/may be due to running on lead free petrol.
More modern engines are less suseptable to these concerns though the debate goes on. :slapme:

I also think the plans to add even more ethanol to the petrol has been put on hold.

I have not heard of specific concerns with f/tf's but I am sure someone will be able to clarify this.

Tony B)

Replied by talkingcars on topic Fuel and Ethanol content

Posted 8 years 1 month ago #167772
In France 95 ron is E10, personally I use 98/99ron when out there as it has a lower ethanol content.

Officially the higher level shouldn't effect K series but I'm sure E10 lead (unintended pun) to the massive emissions fail I had the following MOT after our first euro trip.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds