Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81761

I have ideas for the carbon, but I will have to get someone else to do it as I do not want to mess up the new car, especially as it will have had a full respray after fitting the full body kit :broon:

Now I just need to find it :rant:

you will find the right one Jan just be patient lol

Even now driving Jane Doe around as she is Ive got that bond that I havent got with Monty. I just love her

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81765

• Visitor
  • Visitor
That's because she is a she T B)

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81766

Hi guys I am Dazzer the vinyl man who has supplied the forum stickers.

A little advice on your carbon wrapping problem.

When wrapping any item the first major factor is that the area is 101% clean,any dash cleaners used in the past will have left a residue which will need a seriously strong cleaner to remove any traces. For the DIY wrapper methylated spirits works well and will just evaporate on it own. I see from your post that when you wrapped it you heated the vinyl to aid in it flexing that is fine but the blowing the cold air is a big no no.
With any wrap vinyl it will need warmth to allow it to flex more around curves and tight areas, once you have wrapped your items before trimming the waste off you need to kill the memory in the adhesive, this may sound strange but failing to do this will resort in the vinyl and adhesive returning to its natural state (ie flat) . With all wrap vinyls you need to use a good heat gun or in your case your mrs hair dryer. To kill the adhesive memory or if you like give it a new one to stay in the shape you want it you need to continually heat the vinyl with a waving motion to between 85-95 degrees, in the trade we have infra red heat sensor guns to allow the exact temperature to be obtained without scorching the vinyl. Once this is done and the vinyl has cooled you can then remove the waste vinyl to tidy up your finished item.
I do not touch 3m carbon effect vinyls as I do not rate them much at all, on a flat surface they are fine but for any area with curves or tight bends I have found the grain of the design to distort or even just go black.

Here are a few photos of some of the items I have wrapped.

The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81770

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Fabulous and I am sure you will get asked loads of questions :yesnod:

Could you copy this post Daz and do it as an introduction thread, not everyone reads the carbon thread and I am sure you have plenty of products to show us as hopefully one of our new site sponsors :yesnod:

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81772

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Dazzer! Wow!

I like it very much. Quick question. We wrap the heater vents will the heat make the wrap come off:?

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81776

Fabulous and I am sure you will get asked loads of questions :yesnod:

Could you copy this post Daz and do it as an introduction thread, not everyone reads the carbon thread and I am sure you have plenty of products to show us as hopefully one of our new site sponsors :yesnod:

I have just made a written intro post ,if Psymon can sort an area in the sponsors section I can upload a gallery of product images and completed work to that

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81778

Dazzer! Wow!

I like it very much. Quick question. We wrap the heater vents will the heat make the wrap come off:?

I have wrapped many heater vents on various vehicles , once the memory has been killed you shouldnt have any problems with it lifting, problem will occur though if its a cheap vinyl which doesnt have a good adhesive.

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81785

first question has to be where are you located ? maybe a T-BAR meet at yours lol

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: just finished carbon wrapping 11 years 6 months ago #81792

first question has to be where are you located ? maybe a T-BAR meet at yours lol

I am located in Cornwall , a lot of members from other car clubs send parts to me to be wrapped.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT