Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

F.A.O Jan.. head water way pics 11 years 9 months ago #59783

Just done this to mine as the head is off, a worthwhile fettle to get the coolant flowing round the block a bit quicker.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

F.A.O Jan.. head water way pics 11 years 9 months ago #59796

Had a great meeting with Jason today at Hellier :woohoo:

Jason is doing the head first.. and fitting the new cams..

Then once I have the Scholar block and new pistons Im taking the rest up to Jason's for balancing and then Jason is building the whole engine.. so all I'll have to do is bolt the gearbox on and drop onto the subframe..

Jason recommends throttle bodies.. but this will have to wait till the car is finished...

Going with Jason's recommendations for the build, and as Jason is based within the Janspeed building I'll hopefully get a good price on the Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold and sports cat.. and retain the TT Mk7

Jason reckons set the rev limiter to 7,200 whilst still on a single throttle body.. then set it at 8,500-8,700 once the throttle bodies go on in the future..

His opinion is Scholar are good for everyday and occasional track day.. but wouldnt fit a scholar to a track only racer..

Jason also favours an oil/air cooler.. so that'll be on the shopping list too..
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack of Hearts

F.A.O Jan.. head water way pics 11 years 9 months ago #59808

Had a great meeting with Jason today at Hellier :woohoo:

Jason is doing the head first.. and fitting the new cams..

Then once I have the Scholar block and new pistons Im taking the rest up to Jason's for balancing and then Jason is building the whole engine.. so all I'll have to do is bolt the gearbox on and drop onto the subframe..

Jason recommends throttle bodies.. but this will have to wait till the car is finished...

Going with Jason's recommendations for the build, and as Jason is based within the Janspeed building I'll hopefully get a good price on the Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold and sports cat.. and retain the TT Mk7

Jason reckons set the rev limiter to 7,200 whilst still on a single throttle body.. then set it at 8,500-8,700 once the throttle bodies go on in the future..

His opinion is Scholar are good for everyday and occasional track day.. but wouldnt fit a scholar to a track only racer..

Jason also favours an oil/air cooler.. so that'll be on the shopping list too..

Fantastic news!! Let me know the price of the janspeed sports cat ;)

And get Mr Norris oil cooler, fantastic quality kit for the price!

I would like to know what you will do to refurb the gearbox. As mine will get done a few things with Dazlighyear.

F.A.O Jan.. head water way pics 11 years 9 months ago #59810

Interesting news Allen thanks for sharing :)

Re: Enlarging coolant waterways in a K-Series head. 11 years 9 months ago #59837

Gearbox will be re-built using steel caged bearings and all new gaskets/ oil seals

Jason had just finished an engine which was going in an Elise track car, plus had another track Elise in the unit. Both had throttle bodies on.. So this is deffo a must for the future

Was interesting seeing the Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold for real, a LOT different to my stainless Toyosport manifold

I felt comfortable yesterday, as I've dropped the head off, what is being done has been discussed and agreed, price discussed and I haven't parted with a penny yet. Agrement is I pay in full once I go to collect the completed head

Then buy the scholar kit, then return with all the components, and leave it at Hellier to be assembled with new belts, gaskets, bolts etc then pay for that stage of the job, again price already set.

Its nice to have someone experienced building it, loads of tips, like using the factory crank pulley, but this will have the outer part machined off.. Using the early cam belt, as its wider than the newer one. Being recommended to change the prt every 12months as they can stick, oil change every 3 months to ensure maximum engine life, only use RED OAT as the other colours can corrode the head gasket seal

On the subject of oil coolers, anyone know what diameter pipe is on Jon Norris' kit? Apparently if the pipe is too small it could drop the oil pressure too much

Last edit: Post by Diesel Destroyer.

Re: Enlarging coolant waterways in a K-Series head. 11 years 9 months ago #59838

I've played with A series (got a 1380 on webber 40) but never built a K...

So better left to someone who builds race engines day in day out

The F is too heavy to worry an Elise, but should be a bit 'nippier' once its all up and running. Plus I'll be able to get in and out easily AND carry golf clubs or a suit case lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT