Day dream,

Day dream, was created by Peterpiper

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32397
Imagine that its 2004, you are a production engineer for mgr with a small budget to facelift the tf!

What changes would you make, remembering that small budget!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32400
Give it a clock that works, badges that don't fade, brakes which are better than just adequate and the door mirrors ear marked for the coupe version with built in indicators

Stripes

and make it more retro looking, something like ...........

an MGF :bust:
by PQD44
Attachments:

Replied by Peterpiper on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32406
Lol you mean style it like a bar of fairy soap. Lol

Sun visors would be first, along with R75 switch gear,

Also centralising the instrument pod to the steering wheel (being off set, as it is, gives the false impression that the driving position isn't straight)

Lowering the seats would be high on the list too!

Would want to do something about easier engine access, quick release bolts on the engine cover for instance, also improving fixtures and fittings, some of which are really flimsy, badly designed (door trims for instance) or of poor quality i.e. rusty screw and nuts

I'd focus on sorting known issues out, fine tuning, rather than any major styling changes.

Basically all the stuff mgr kindly left for us owners to do!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32408
I think, but I would wouldn't I?, that the MK2 F is pretty good.

Better, lower seats are a must though.
Better sunvisors.
Better head gsket.
PRT
Better lights(head)
Better lights (rear)
Better airflow at front to stabilise car at speed.
:yesnod:

David
:shrug:

Replied by Peterpiper on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32422
Prt, front line stability & headlights are fine on the TF, you need to upgrade lol.

Mgr seemed to have a bizarre attachment to its taillights on all it's cars, the one part never changed despite the dowdy look .

• PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32424
:dry: I quite like the rear lights, they suit the car. You can keep your LED and Lexus style ones, to me they look MX5'ish, :unsure:

The MGF I feel is far more classic looking than the TF. The TF is a more modern looking car so the LED and Lexus style lights do go better on it.
by PQD44

Replied by rayb on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32428
a nice sounding sports exhaust with options list to include body kits oh yes a ejecter seat :ohmy:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

by rayb

Replied by Rich in Vancouver on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32433
Bring the Supersports to life as the top of the range model with the Supercharged motor, wider wheels and uprated suspension. Along with some subtle upgrades as noted above that would rejeuvenate theentire product line.
I was looking at a pic of a new Ferrari in the new issue of Octane and it occurred to me that the same access solution that they used could be used on the MGF Coupe. A glass liftback with a glass panel between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment.

Replied by Tourbillon on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32435
Now that sounds like a Mod worth doing, I think 12 mm Smoked plexi should do ........ ( until it melts in the heat and shrink wraps the block) whilst you crash into the ditch by being overcome with fumes.....

So all we need is somebody to knock up some hardened glass panels with Gold reflective coatings then for about £50 each. Easy :whistle:

Tourbillon

Replied by Luckymarine on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32444
Hmm if I was refining the MG TF to appeal to a wider audience (which is what its all about, car sales = profit) the first port of call is the coolant system.

PRT, at the front of the car as to reduce the amount of cold coolant released into the engine when the thermostat opens, somewhere accessible like under the washer bottle where you can easily see (and get to) the 2 pipes branching off to the radiator.

Some will know how inefficient the current radiator is and how only 25% of it is line with airflow, coupled with the plate behind the radiator directing air flow downwards thus lifting the front of the vehicle at speed often the underlying cause of "wander" that some experience.
Better venting at the front of the car, coupled with a plate behind directing the air upwards, would need a vent to be cut into the bonnet to release the flow although thinking about it now that air could be used as a sort of ram air device although you'd need tubing to stretch al the way to the back of the car, might work might not.

All future MG's to roll off the production line would have an uprated head gasket already fitted.

A boot release button/lever in the cockpit.

As its 2004 and no one yet has headlights that burn your retina the current lighting is fine.

Maybe a bit of work on the cockpit to bring it up to date depending on budget.

I think this would create a vehicle that joe blogs that knows nothing about engines and how to fix them could drive day in day out with fewer issues than the current models have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32450
Yeah but...if they'd got it all right what would we do at the weekend?
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Tsleight

Replied by Luckymarine on topic Re: Day dream,

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #32459
If they'd got it all right I would't have picked up a 160 for £1,400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds