Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31419

They must have counted the ones going out the back door as well!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31425

Fight, fight, fight.... :bust:
David
:shrug:

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31435

I am going to eat "humble pie" and post an apology to Paul, i should have researched it further :bust: :coat:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31439

Crikey - my Mk1 F is as common as muck :lol:

NO your MGF is not "common", it is yours and it is unique :woohoo: and you love it :omg: bear in mind that there is less than 39% left of the 77269 (approx) Fs produced between early 1995 and late 2001 (3.1.02) :broon: if you can give me the Vin number i can look to see if there is anything special about it when it was built. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laz1957, PQD44

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31507

I hereby wholeheartedly apologise to PDQ44 (aka Paul) for questioning his ability to provide accurate information about the MGF and MGTF production figures. I will be more thorough in my research in future.
I would however go on to say, that after speaking to Roger Parker at the MG Owners Club, the exact production figures are unknown for both of these models.
77,269 is the figure that is consistently referred to for the MGF, which does not include the 98 pre-production cars, 30 of which were registered in August 1995 as press cars being given registrations N801 SVC to N830 SVC ( 14 of these still survive today)
39,249 is the official manufacturing total of MGTFs, but does not include the 150 pre- production units. The difference between the first and last VIN numbers issued during production is 41,637 which is an incorrect total of units made because all of the numbers were not used.

So these are the official figures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Dieter

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31508

This is the transferred post from PDQ44

Bryan the first line of the above is unnecessary, no apology was ever required. The information you have provided helps clear up the substantial body of ill researched information which is to be found repeated on the www.
As per my message to you, please remove the above (along with this post) and place the information in the MGF/TF QI Facts thread.

We need to sort this before Bryan sets up a seance with Kimber and God.

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31545

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Continuing the QI Facts from the previous page and looking at recent interest, here are your QI Facts 16 through to 20

16) What colours were the MGF TF produced in ...

17) Jerry McGovern, having worked on the MG EX-E concept car, was the lead designer of the MGF. The colour of his choice for his personal MGF ...... Tahiti Blue :thumbsup: (not that I am biased in any way shape or form :whistle: )

18) Which models had which engines, which had a CVT gearbox option ....

19) What does your VIN Number tell you?

20) The Wedgwood SE (July, 2000) was the first limited edition based on the MY2000 MGF. This particular SE was also the first MGF to come equipped with a rear boot spoiler as standard.

For more information on production dates see this thread

I do strive to post accurate details but please feel free to let me know of any errors or omissions :thumbsup:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Tsleight

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31807

More facts about the MGF to get your teeth into :yesnod:

The MGF is known as a “Parts Bin Special”, and most know that a large part of the car is based on the Rover Metro, from where it derives two front subframes (one for the front modified not to take power and the other at the rear modified not to take steering), re-valved Hydragas suspension and more. However, many other models’ parts bins were also raided, for such items such as Maestro/Montego vented front discs first seen in 1984, Maestro/Montego front wheel bearings for the MGF’s front and rear dating back to 1988,Metro GTi front callipers from 1991 and Rover 800 rear callipers and carriers from 1986. And the list continues……….

By contrast, the MGF was the first Rover group model to receive the 1.8-litre version of the K series engine, and also the first model to receive the technically advanced and very effective 1.8 VVC (Variable Valve Control not Very , Very Complicated!) engine. It is a shame, then, that the reputation was tarnished by the head gasket issues which Rover dealt with very inefficiently and allowed to grow into a monster, the consequences of which we still see today, even though quality versions of the Multi-Layer Steel shim (MLS) gaskets have – with other changes – finally overcome those difficulties.

MGF was one of the first volume production cars in the world to be fitted with Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS), over a decade before the general adoption of a system which has been heralded as one of the “new” important eco-based developments. So MG was there at least 10 years before the masses.

:thumbsup:

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31808

AND ANOTHER :bust:

MGF and TF bodies have a reinforced windscreen frame that is designed to provide a significant degree of roll over protection, and this has proven to be effective. (see example of Kameleon’s car below) Some aftermarket roll hoops intimate a roll over protection function, but only provide limited additional protection in certain roll over conditions and so owners should only rely on them for their cosmetic attractions.

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 4 months ago #31935

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Continuing the QI Facts from pages 1, 2 and above, here are your QI Facts 21 through to 24

21) 15th January 2002 MG unveiled the new MG TF at the Brussels Motor Show.

The first TF built had 0101 as the VIN suffix, following an MG tradition that has used the last three numbers of the company’s telephone number - Longbridge is 0121 475 2101. Abingdon MGs from 1930 were started at 0251 (Abingdon 251), with MG Magnette ZAs and TF Midgets using a 0501 VIN following the company’s BMC Headquarters in Birmingham having the 1501 telephone number.
The actual VIN suffix of the first MGTF was 600101

22) From its launch the MGF was Britain's best selling small sports car of that period. The TF continued that trend and the TF in March 2003, reached their highest production level since its introduction and that of the MGF. Production increased by 130 to 430 units per week.

23) In 2003 The MG TF was judged the 'World's Most Beautiful Cabriolet' at the awards ceremony held by L'Automobile più Bella del Mondo, in Milan. A panel of 13 international judges, made up from design experts outside the automotive industry, credited MG TF with the class win 'for blending great originality and typical elements of MG tradition, with a strong casual and dynamic character'. The previous year the MG TF was awarded 'Cabriolet of the Year' at the Geneva Motor Show.

24) On 3 Feb 2005 a bespoke MG TF 160 car was sold for £100,000 in a charity auction at the Retail Trust Ball, hosted by Ruby Wax.

"As the UK’s best-selling sports car, the MG TF is clearly a very popular car. I’m naturally delighted, though not surprised, that individuals are keen to acquire one at any price. This particular highly specified MG is available to order at a value comfortably below £100,000!" said Rod Ramsay, managing director of worldwide sales & marketing, MG Rover Group
The MG TF 160 auctioned was specially painted in the bespoke Monogram Shot Silk paintwork – a colour that ‘travels’ from purple through to green dependent of lighting conditions. Sumptuous Oxford leather trimmed interior, with wood steering wheel and a body-coloured hardtop were key elements that drove the Baugur UK Group to bid successfully for the MG.

You can find many more interesting MG related facts by taking a look at the MG Quiz thread :yesnod:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Tsleight

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: correction of typo, TF unvieled 15th not 5th Jan 2002

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 3 months ago #32171

Always thought that Shot Silk was a very underated :)!

The three prototype models that evolved into the MGF are still held at Longbridge and include lots more parts bin borrowing!

The very first MGF-a 1.8i in Flame red is still owned by MG and held at Longbridge and has the VIN ending 251. Whereas the very first "new" production MG TF LE500 in Vibrant Orange which also has the VIN ending 251 is....Where Brian :yesnod: ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: MGF/TF QI Facts 12 years 3 months ago #32178

The very first MGF-a 1.8i in Flame red is still owned by MG and held at Longbridge and has the VIN ending 251. Whereas the very first "new" production MG TF LE500 in Vibrant Orange which also has the VIN ending 251 is....Where Brian :)?

I thought that the first Flame Red MGF that came off the CAB2 production line on 27 August 1995 was presented to British Motor Industry Heritage Trust at Gaydon following the previous MG tradition. Many were very surprised that MG Motor decided to sell the first of the MGTF LE500 with VIN 0000251 ~ The last i heard it is in DY3 2RA and can be had for a pound short of twenty grand :omg:

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT