Irony or just naff luck?

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Irony or just naff luck?

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17245
Indeed, but perhaps the real answer is retests for everybody, say 5 yearly. Or right away if involved in an accident?

David
:shrug:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cjj
  • cjj's Avatar Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Irony or just naff luck?

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17247
I think that would be a logistical nightmare. The hard fact is, as we get older we get physically and mentally less able to do things. There has to be a point where the average driver starts becoming a nuisance and it is this point where people should be tested.

There isn't much we can do for bad driving practices among the rest of the population, that is their choice, not a biological factor.
by cjj

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Irony or just naff luck?

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17251
I think there's an argument for having compulsory courses for anyone involved in an accident. At one large company I used to work for all company car drivers were sent on defensive driving courses every four years - which matched the four year lease on the cars. At the time the company apparently had the second largest company car fleet in the UK and they only insured them third party and then picked up the tab for repairs. After they had introduced the scheme accidents went down by a third.
by a Guest

• cjj
  • cjj's Avatar Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17252
It's a good idea, but I see it as a way to make money more than anything. As usual, it would start off at £50 a course and before you know it it would be a compulsory £300 course.
by cjj

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17253
Some people are mentally less able without the excuse of old age.
I know a number of over 70 drivers who are still very capable drivers, I also know drivers in the age range 30-50 who I would be unwilling to allow to drive me anywhere.

I think it is too simplistic to condemn people due to age, but I am fully willing to condemn them on lack of ability.
But that should apply universally.

Ask the insurance companies about ability/age.

And i'm not saying this because i am closer to 70 than you are!:lol:

David

• cjj
  • cjj's Avatar Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17256
I can only base this on the drivers I know. Yes, there are some good older drivers out there, but a low accident/insurance record doesn't mean a better driver either. Why do older drivers slow down? Is it because of experience or is it down to the slowing of their perception and reactions.
I know lots of older drivers who won't drive over 40/50, but that causes chaos on the roads as people get frustrated and try and overtake, and lorries struggle to overtake them on motorways.
by cjj

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17265
It's the old dears who drive at 40 no matter what the speed limit that worry me. Yes it's annoying when they are doing 40 in a 60 limit but when they are still going at 40 past a village school it's downright dangerous.
by a Guest

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17266

CJJ;17256 wrote: I can only base this on the drivers I know. Yes, there are some good older drivers out there, but a low accident/insurance record doesn't mean a better driver either. Why do older drivers slow down? Is it because of experience or is it down to the slowing of their perception and reactions.
I know lots of older drivers who won't drive over 40/50, but that causes chaos on the roads as people get frustrated and try and overtake, and lorries struggle to overtake them on motorways.

I think we would probably agree on what makes a good driver? But who is the bad driver, the old guy doing 50 - or the driver behind who allows frustration and anger to lead him/her into taking risks?

But you ask 'Why do older drivers slow down', - some do, some don't. IMO, they are more likely to stick to the speed limit.
Equally, why do people think it's OK to break the speed limits and then harass drivers sticking to the limit?

A lot of older people tend to drive slower than when they were younger, I know I do, why? More sense, more awareness of consequences, more regard to the appropriate speed for a particular road. More realisation that I'm not immortal. More knowledge about the limitations of the vehicle I'm driving. There are a lot of reasons for slower driving other than decrepitude.

Having said all that I now drive a much more powerful car than those I drove when a lad. And I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that it does get let out now and again.

David

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17267

Andy1970h;17265 wrote: It's the old dears who drive at 40 no matter what the speed limit that worry me. Yes it's annoying when they are doing 40 in a 60 limit but when they are still going at 40 past a village school it's downright dangerous.

I agree with that, but is that worse than the young laddo who does 90 in his saxo on an A road and 40 past a village school?

David

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17273
You could argue worse simply because, all other things being equal, Saxo-boy will react faster if a kid runs out into the road.
by a Guest

• cjj
  • cjj's Avatar Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17276
I'm hardly talking your age group David, and I'm not talking all old people, but it is a scientific fact that as you get older your reactions slow, your perception slows, and in worse cases you get confused easier. I have never heard of a young or middle aged person driving the wrong way down the outside lane of a motorway, yet it has happened to the elderly. One incidend, when they eventually stopped him refused to believe it was a motorway. At the minute that chap could still go on self certificating himself that he is happy and safe to drive.
You bring up young lads doing 90, there is legislation to deal with that when they are caught. It is down to their own stupidity. You cannot fine old people for being confused etc.

You also ask what is worse, the person doing 50 or the person getting frustrated. I would say in this hectic world we live in, the slow person is at fault. There is a rule that says you should make good progress and match the speed of other traffic, you can actually fail your driving test for not doing it. I so often see a queue of 1/2 a mile on these roads of people who are desperate to get past the little old dear doing 40 in a 60. I have very little time for people who show no courtesy for other road users, whatever their age.

I personally would never harrass someone doing the speed limit, no matter how much of a hurry I was in.
by cjj

Posted 13 years 7 months ago #17281
I agree with almost everything you say.
The only thing I would disagree with, is your conclusion on my 'what if' scenario.
I believe that the person who can't deal with someone doing 50 in front of them is the bad driver. The speed limit is exactly that - a maximum limit, not an expectation.
Someone who can't deal with a slow driver other than by frustration and anger is the problem, and the potential accident.
When I see a queue of cars behind an old guy doing 50, I put the blame on those who want to drive faster but are unable/unwilling to overtake and end up sitting too close behind the car in front making it more difficult for someone wanting to overtake. Either overtake or drop back and match your speed to the old guy.
Unless you are travelling long distances, the difference in time between doing 50 or doing 60 is minimal.

David

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds