Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Poll: Coolest MG - Medium size Saloon (Post war) (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

MG YA / YB
1 3.6%
MG Magnette ZA / ZB
16 57.1%
MG Magnette Mark III & IV
1 3.6%
MG Montego
6 21.4%
MG ZS
4 14.3%
Total number of voters: 28 ( COMMANDER, west470, Steve, BarryD, Cobber ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Topic

Coolest MG - Medium size Saloon (Post war) 12 years 1 month ago #42686

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Cool wall with a difference - I will post up a selection of MG's for you to choose from in each category.

Here are your five medium sized MG Saloon cars to choose from. The question is which is your favourite or which, as a second or third car would you most like to own?

First up we have the MG YA / YB produced from 1947 - 1953. The prototype “Y” Type was constructed in 1939 with an intended launch at the Earls Court Motor show, the following year. However, as a result of the hostilities the public had to wait a further eight years before production commenced.
In 1952 the updated “Y” Type was launched, known as the “YB”. The “YB” had a completely new Lockheed braking system and a much more modern hypoid type of back axle. Road holding was also improved by the introduction of smaller 15-inch (380 mm) wheels (the “Y” and the “Y/T” both had 16-inch (410 mm) wheels). The “YB” also had an anti-roll bar fitted to the front of the car and stronger shock absorbers, or dampers, were fitted.

Little else was changed about the car, which was by now looking extremely dated. The YB soldiered on until the end of 1953 and the MG ZA Magnette was introduced in 1954.

Next up we have MG Magnette ZA and ZB produced from 1953 - 1958. The Magnette ZA was launched in 1953 at the London Motor Show and deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.
In 1955 The Motor magazine tested a Magnette and recorded a top speed of 79.7 mph, acceleration from 0-60 mph in 23.1 seconds and a fuel consumption of 24.9 mpg was recorded.
The ZA was replaced by the Magnette ZB in 1956. Power was increased to 64 bhp by fitting 1½ inch carburettors, increasing the compression ratio from 7.5 to 8.3 and modifying the manifold. A semi-automatic transmission was an option.
The extra power increased the top speed to 86 mph and reduced the 0-60 mph time to 18.5 seconds.

This gave way to the MG Magnette Mark III and IV produced from 1959 - 1969.
The Mark III of 1959 drew mixed reviews. US based publications heralded the Magnette's arrival, while the UK publications tended towards "damning with faint praise". It was nearly identical to the Riley version (the 4/68) of the new Pinin Farina-designed midsize BMC saloon line. All versions (including the Austin A55 Cambridge Mark II, Morris Oxford series V and Wolseley 15/60) were produced by the British Motor Corporation (BMC).

The Mark III was updated in 1961 as the Mark IV. A larger 1.6 L (1622 cc) B-Series engine, with capacity increased by increasing the bore to 76.2 mm, was fitted, and the car had a longer wheelbase and wider track. To improve handling anti-roll bars were fitted front and rear. From the outside, the Mark IV was almost identical to the Mark III, apart from the remodelled and slightly less sharply pointed tailfins, a modification shared with its Riley sibling.

Next up for consideration is the MG Montego produced from 1985 -1991. Just a year after the successful launch of the Maestro (LM10) its bigger brother the Montego (LM11) was introduced by Austin Rover in April 1984 at a press launch staged in the South of France. The Montego used the existing floor-pan of the Maestro but was made wider by 2" in the wheelbase which provided more legroom for the rear seat passengers.
As a top of the range car there were special features only to be found on the MG Montego, which included a deeper front spoiler, along with a boot mounted one. Special cast alloy Dunlop TD type wheels were employed which enabled special low profile tyres to be fitted. In the event of a puncture or blow out at speed, the tyre would safely stay on the rim, allowing the car to be brought to a halt with no loss of control. Following on from its MG forerunners, the interior had a distinctive red bias with trim, carpeting, seat belts and piping all colour keyed.
These refinements all combined to make the MG Montego a very comfortable high speed upmarket sports saloon, initially priced at over £8,000 it was to prove the fastest and most expensive production MG until upstaged by the ultra high performance MG Montego Turbo which was announced in April 1985.

Last but not least the MG ZS produced from 2001–2005. The ZS is essentially a tuned version of the Rover 45 (which was launched in 1999). As a Rover, the 45 was optimised for comfort rather than handling — however, as an MG the opposite was the case. The ZS 180, offering 175 bhp (130 kW; 177 PS) from a 2.5 L V6 engine and acceleration to 60 mph in 7.3 seconds, received favourable reviews in the press, with particular praise for its steering, handling and suspension.

Maybe take a second look at all five choices, but don't forget to vote

To see all the Cool Wall cars click on this link :yesnod:

At the top of the Cool Wall section you will find the Coolest MG threads set out out in vehicles types.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Coolest MG - Medium size Saloon (Post war) 12 years 1 month ago #42805

I vote ZA Magnette as it gives me a chance to show off my old ZA.
California car with Balanced 1800-3 main, alloy head, supercharged, 4-speed w/overdrive, MGB 4.3 rear end,
MGA Twin Cam knock-off wheels with MGB front disc brakes, MGF rear. Custom dash with afr guage,
boost guage, tach etc, etc, etc. About 120hp which was double stock-Went pretty good! :woohoo:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Re: Coolest MG - Medium size Saloon (Post war) 12 years 1 month ago #42814

• Squeaks
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Loving owning a Porsche :)
I like them all, been in or sat in all off them.

but having owned 2 ZS's I have to give the point to that, yes it was a rebadged rover but it gave MG afew more years before they went bust and they where bloody good drivers cars aswell
Dan :)

:D I may not always be right..... BUT I am NEVER wrong lol :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: Coolest MG - Medium size Saloon (Post war) 11 years 1 month ago #109213

I voted for the ZB Magnette - the best MG saloon ever and one of teh best MGs ever. really wish I had teh money and space to own one.

The MG Montego is a fabulous car and often overlooked. I road rallyed mine and was mildly successful. Masses of space and real comfort, allied with exception agility for such a large car and plenty of get up and go. Reall Safety Fast as MG would say

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT