Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tyre recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #195466

I know it's an emotive subject but I'm looking for recommendations for tyres for my 1.6 TF.
I am hoping to put my son on the insurance over the summer and want to make sure the tyres are decent.
I've been looking at Toyo TR1s, are they ok?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Tyre recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #195467

I have the old Toyos on my F and have never had a problem I think as long as you steer clear of any "Budget" type tyre and ensure that you have the XL rated side wall I think any "premium" would be OK, I have had many different makes all XL without problems, the only bad experience I had was with Event tyres but I think they would be classed as Budget. Obviously tracking, ball joints, suspension all must be in good order or no tyres would be at their optimum.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simondi

Re:Tyre recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #195468

What wheels are you running on which car?

I have TR1 on my 15" Mk1 MGF VVC with TF subframes and MY05 suspension, - assuming the tracking needs sorting as it hasn't been done since I swapped subframes then I am happy with them.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simondi

Re:Tyre recommendations 2 years 11 months ago #195469

Hi, 
it's on 15 inch rims☺️

Re:Tyre recommendations 2 years 5 months ago #197140

While I don't want to revive an "old tyre thread" there is so much I still don't really understand? For example, why can you put two differing size tyres on the back and front of an MG? What is the point, and is it more dangerous to have wheels of the same size all round, or stick with the 2x2 does it matter in reality?

Tyre recommendations 2 years 5 months ago #197146

The short answer is it hepls with the car over steering if you loose control.

Although if you have a Mk2 MGF VVC it is recommended to have all four tyres the same size and profile.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Tyre recommendations 2 years 5 months ago #197148

The short answer is it hepls with the car over steering if you loose control.

Although if you have a Mk2 MGF VVC it is recommended to have all four tyres the same size and profile.

Yes. That's the official reason. Supposedly because most people were used to front wheel drive, it was MGR's attempt to reduce the effect of rear wheel drive.
In my opinion, it was probably more to do with saving money, and all it actually did was confuse people. So you have people fitting the wrong sized tyres or having mismatched tyres on axle sets.

My mk2 F freestyle has 215/40 16 all around as standard, and I've never had an issue with oversteer.
The first car to have the thinner fronts was the Trophy.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: richardhb

Tyre recommendations 2 years 5 months ago #197187

Your freestyle should have 'multispokes' fitted with 195/45 R16 tyres on the front and 215/40 R16 tyres on the Rear when it left the factory if its an Mpi, if its a VVC then it would have the wider tyres on the front also, this was the factory standard. The 'Freestyle' had a '''Trophy'' body but not the Trophy suspension or brakes, it was a ''run out'' model at the end of MGF production only 680 built.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT