Sign In   Register

Topic

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97692

The one thing I'm keen to avoid is the kids getting sucked into Apple. Our youngest is almost 2 and he can already unlock his Mum's phone and start making calls! We got the two boys to share a Nabi tablet for Christmas and have to say it's brilliant. Same specs as a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD but has a kid's mode that's completely locked down.

Win8 phones have "Kid's corner"! Is it any good?

I am also keen to get the Nokia Lumia 920 and then the Surface RT Pro tablet or similar and then just got to convince the wife we need Xbox 360 in addition to the children's Wii. I have studious avoided Apple much to my 9 year old son's disgust.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97709

always been anti i anything.. got myself my htc one x and it does everything i want.. i take a picture and it goes straight to my dropbox on my pc in seconds.. if i want to watch a film or video on my phone i can swipe it and it plays straight to my tv or i can play music straight to tv or my surround sound. i can use the sky app to record tv while im out or even watch sky on my phone.. i can see links to ebay on the forum on it :bust: i can use my bluetooth obd2 on it live while driving i can bluetooth music to other phones or download music free no issues and i have access to a unbelievable amount of free apps that are chargable on iphone..

to me anything i IS a fasion thing and thats it.. yes i agree when it first come out it was the thing to have but know when there is so many other phones that do the same or more then why bother getting tied into something that apple are milking for all its not worth

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97715

Win8 phones have "Kid's corner"! Is it any good?

I am also keen to get the Nokia Lumia 920 and then the Surface RT Pro tablet or similar and then just got to convince the wife we need Xbox 360 in addition to the children's Wii. I have studious avoided Apple much to my 9 year old son's disgust.

I wanted to go with WP8 but got bored waiting for Vodafone and didn't fancy paying EE's prices so got a Lumia 800 on a 12 month contract. It's WP 7.5 so doesn't have Kid's corner but I think that'll be added with the WP7.8 update.

XBox 720 should be here later this year along with XBox Surface - a 7" Windows 8 RT tablet optimised for gaming.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97723

Stuck in the same boat here waiting for Vodafone to realise not everyone wants Samsung or iPhone! I almost switched to T-Mobile for the 920 but then held off and got a good deal on a sim-only contract with Vodafone, so I am hoping they will let me upgrade to the 920 when they launch it next month. In the end the wait may be worthwhile while Nokia and MS iron out the minor issues of the first phones. My daughter has been happy with her 710 and is awaiting the 7.8 upgrade, too, so she can customise the tiles. In the meantime, I am happy to continue using my HTC HD2 running on Win CE 6.5 for a little longer.

Thanks for the tip on the 720!

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97734

It's not a phone, but Nvidia announced this Android-handheld curveball at the weekend:

Everyone is saying it's doomed before takeoff, but I like the idea of being able to connect it up via HDMI to play on the big screen - with decent analogue controls - and then disconnect it and continue playing on the same device, on the move.

Last edit: Post by Proudfoot.

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97736

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
But can it control Sky? :nonod:

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97737

But can it control Sky? :nonod:

Only got council telly out here in the boonies

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97738

Just figured out the sky remote thing!!! :omg: :broon:

Missus not happy watching her Peter Andre programme :nonod: :bust:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97739

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
:bust: :bust: :bust: :bust:

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97741

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Only got council telly out here in the boonies

Are they still doing public service anouncements? ;)

Last edit: Post by cjj.

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97742

We now have a little box that plugs into our Sky system which gives us on demand stuff through our wifi.

Do you have to have Sky HD or pay extra for the little box for the on demand stuff? Or is it available with a regular subscription?

I love being a geek. 11 years 4 months ago #97746

I won't have anything Apple due to the way it is tied so closely to the Apple Store and iTunes and won't allow any alternatives. Must go I'm off to read a book on my Kindle :lol:

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT