Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199361

This may be a question which has been answered many times before but I'm a newbie, so please forgive me.

I need to get my MGF registered in France and that means a headlamp conversion. I think I read somewhere that it's possible to swap the lamps over and turn them upside down. That sounds like nonsense to me but, if it's possible, I save a stash on new lamps.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199362

Hey, I’m not sure that would work as the beam pattern is downward facing in both iterations, if you turned them up upside down they’d be pointing in the sky! Also, the fittings wouldn’t work etc.. I think beam benders (the crappy stickers) or some LHD lights are your only option long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199364

Thanks, that's what I thought but I am sure that I read it somewhere!!

Re:Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199376

I believe (ie I read it somewhere) that if you dismantle the headlamps you can reverse the dip direction by putting the internal glass lenses in back to front. I have no practical experience of this but it sounds possible. Certainly worth a try considering the potential saving...

i do know that the beam adapters used for temporarily driving abroad are not acceptable for testing purposes.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199406

That sounds plausible but the beam converters differ markedly from left to right. It might be necessary to swap them between sides as well. I would mark each lens up using an indelible pen. L and R at the top will show all the necessary orientations.

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 10 months ago #199415

Thanks Guys

I'll give it a try, this weekend.

Chris

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 9 months ago #199421

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Van (not yet a camper) driver nowadays
Ma correction du titre: RHD & LHD, en fait!
Tuto FR:
https://www2.mgcontact.eu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22126
PS: - Je n'utilise que des TF (et un levier interne permet d'obtenir un faisceau plat neutre & OK pour le CT)

Last edit: Post by VVC160. Reason: mod

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 9 months ago #199422

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Van (not yet a camper) driver nowadays
Le lien (dur à éditer!) ci-dessus en bleu est le bon!
My 2003 Trophy blue 160 is now crushed since 2019 & at that time, I / my purse only could source one of the last 2005 TF, alas a BRGreen 115 (cheap & neat Somerset purchase % before Covid/Brexit)!
So, still in quest of a second 160, even a first efficient & fully overhauled engine. Must be a 2004-2005-2006(registred), rustless, no need of a collector car though.
Eventually, from a MG trader (in any case, should be a fifth of an Elise S2)?

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by VVC160.

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 9 months ago #199423

Thanks to all inputs. I can now confirm that this does work and will pass the european equivalent of an MOT.

The upshot is that you can disassemble the headlamps and swap the internal glass lenses to achieve a switching of the dip direction.

You need to swap the lenses between the two headlights and reverse them in the headlight to give a right dip instead of a left dip.

The hardest part of the job will be disassembling the headlamp without breaking the adjusters.
David
:shrug:

Changing Headlights from RHD to LFD 1 year 9 months ago #199425

Thanks David

I was going to tray this weekend but it will have to be next weekend now. I'll take care of the adjusters and report back.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT