Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to fit seat lowering springs part 1 10 years 1 month ago #138853

i think it's important to try all the options when theyre this easy, let your bottom decide :yesnod:
you could always move the attachment points to alter the feel and deflection, or add an additional 'limiter' with a cable tie at the correct length on each side. just thinking out loud. :pop:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to fit seat lowering springs part 1 10 years 1 month ago #138855

So I've rebuilt the seat and tried to show how much deflection I'm getting with the cushion and just 2 springs fitted uisng my charming assistant who claims to be a mere 70Kg (and who am I to argue).

Here is the rebuilt seat....I'd replaced the backrest cover a year ago (holes in the bolster) and now the new cushion matches:

This is the underside after the rebuild with just 2 springs:

Here is a shot taken from the rear of the seat with no weight on it:

And here we can see the deflection with the '70Kg'

Now I wish I'd taken shots underneath before I started! My 'seat of the pants' impression is that the deflection with just 2 springs is quite marked but I'll have a better idea once it's back in the car. I did a clearance measurement 'top of head to hood' before I started and should be able to get a reasonable idea of the difference.

Of course like MGRover I now need to drive around California and Nevada for a few months to test durability!

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Blow-in.

How to fit seat lowering springs part 1 10 years 1 month ago #138859

I have been driving round with the 2 spring option for a couple of years without issue. :broon: Well apart from the fact that the seat is still too high for me. :dry:
David
:shrug:

How to fit seat lowering springs part 1 10 years 1 month ago #138860

I have been driving round with the 2 spring option for a couple of years without issue. :broon: Well apart from the fact that the seat is still too high for me. :dry:

A case then of 'great minds think a like'? I took a long hard look at the frame and the foam and decided that anything more would require major surgery. Maidstone Sports Cars claim (Honda R project) to have altered the frame to allow the seat to drop 3cm and I'd love to know what they have done.

Thanks again David for your heated seats How-to as that also gives 90% of the clues on how to change covers.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

How to fit seat lowering springs 10 years 1 month ago #138923

Driver's seat back-in and feels fine. The drop compared to the original clips and with only 2 replacement springs in place is about 2.5cm (roughly an inch). Not massive but worthwhile.

Richard

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT