Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Draining the Hydra-gas system. 12 years 5 months ago #30854

How to drain a Hyrda-elastic suspension

Why would you wish to do this.?

1)To replace the suspension with coiled suspension I am going to do
2)To enable access to the rear axles, or to remove the clutch (what I was doing as well)
3)To get back at your MG driving neighbour for an affront they have committed against yourself (insert own reason's here)

First you need to access the Bonnet area and remove the covering cowl from the front of the car. This is held in place by 2 plastic screws and 2 metal bolts on the drivers side. 2 Screws below the level of the spare tyre also complete the attachment.

With this done, you now see 2 valves, that look like bicycle valves. The Hydra-gas system is pressurised to 400 PSI, and when pressed in, these will expel fluid in a stream/spray.

De-pressurisation may be conducted in one of 2 way's;

1)you may wish to use a vacuum pump, or a Hydra-gas pump to remove the fluid.
2)You may wish to just use a plastic milk carton (2 litres) and a screwdriver

Here I've used the 2nd method, as I don't have ready access to a hydra-gas pump, and I plan on installing coil springs as well after.

Tools needed:

Safety knife- for cutting holes in the milk carton.
2 Milk cartons, one for draining, the 2nd for long term storage and disposal.
1 Screwdriver, Philips head preferred (the Star headed type.)
Tape, for covering holes when transference fluid from one carton to the next.

Once the water reservoir is removed, this just lifts straight out, you may place the milk carton in its place, with 2 holes poked in the top 25% of the carton.

One hole is for the insertion of one of the valves, each valve corresponds to the relevant suspension for one side of the car. Eg Left is left side, right is right.

The 2nd hole is used for placing the screwdriver through, this is now pressed into the Valve, allowing the fluid to rapidly escape the system.

Usually about 500 Ml's or so of fluid will be removed for each side, until the pressure is abated.

Once one side has been drained, the 2nd may now be done.

The fluid, once removed, may now be stored into a 2nd container, and disposed of in a environmentally sound manner.

Any spills maybe cleaned up by applying water to dilute and disperse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, David Aiketgate, bryan young, Looney toons, MarcMG, mgtfbluestreak, Splintercat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by IPEX-731BA5DD06.

Draining the Hydra-gas system. 12 years 5 months ago #30857

Nice on, Ipex! :thumbsup:
I'll add this to the A-Z list of How tos! :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Draining the Hydra-gas system. 4 years 11 months ago #190475

Just adding this Hydragas Register site link as I came to this guide in the hope I could find out where I could get the suspension pumped up ;) http://www.hydragas.co.uk/

Draining the Hydra-gas system. 4 years 11 months ago #190477

Sadly a lot of the garages in that list no longer offer the service.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Draining the Hydra-gas system. 4 years 8 months ago #191028

I may have been lucky but I contacted 4 in my area (Suffolk/Essex), 3 still offered the pump up service and 1 was out of business ... The price did vary however £40, £50 and one that claimed I would also need the wheels realigned after and wanted £100.

Last edit: Post by Gers.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT