Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43369

Chris, i am going to send an email to British Autoparts for details and prices. You will see from this earlier thread that Sidders bought a kit of springs for over £1000 and saved about $ 400 postage by putting them in his luggage!!!. I do like the way that the spring adjustment can be made and that you are free to use shockers of your choice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43371

Chris, i am going to send an email to British Autoparts for details and prices. You will see from this earlier thread that Sidders bought a kit of springs for over £1000 and saved about $ 400 postage by putting them in his luggage!!!. I do like the way that the spring adjustment can be made and that you are free to use shockers of your choice.

It will certainly be interesting to see what response you get. My spheres seem to be all good right now, but for how long? if I do manage to buy another sphere, there's a good chance more failures from the others will follow, with little chance of finding replacements. Throwing good money after bad springs to mind...

I prefer to get the whole lot changed (when I need to) and not worry about this aspect of the car no more - while still enjoying the (stiff) ride I get now. The ones mentioned in the OP seem to be the perfect solution.

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43432

To me it makes sense to have a spring kit "on the shelf" and ready to go as the one thing that is certain is that sooner, rather than later a sphere will fail.

I've had my Aus Spring Kit in now for quite a few thousand kms. The ride out here on lousy Aussie roads (way worse than you guys in the UK can imagine) is fine. Its not as compliant as with the spheres but as someone with a lot of experience driving in the UK and Europe I seriously doubt that you'll notice much if any difference. My F is fitted with Bilstein dampers but there are any number of alternatives you can use.

I do very much like the ability to set the ride height of the car. Its easy to have your F sitting just right on the road. If you take a look at the photos in my profile you'll see the car as it sits now with the spring kit fitted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43433

PS to m previous message. If looking at the photos on my profile the photos of the car with Trophy wheels are the ones taken after the fitting of the spring kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, chris66

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43458

PS to m previous message. If looking at the photos on my profile the photos of the car with Trophy wheels are the ones taken after the fitting of the spring kit.

The set up you use seems perfect to me - a 'bell housing' to keep the springs in place, simple but very effective. Did you get rid of all the hydragas plumbing, too?

I emailed Brown & Gammons regarding selling the SUPLEX kit and the possibility of using just the sphere replacements, as opposed to the full kit and this is what I got back:

"Unfortunately we cannot supply the units without dampers at the moment as this will void any warranty through Suplex. Im hoping this may be available in the near future though"

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43460

Left all the plumbing in situ. It does not get in the way and to remove it completely achieves nothing.

I originally got the warranty line too when I asked for a kit without dampers. Mind you I was also told the kits would be ready in 3,6,12,16 weeks..... never did get them so cancelled the order when the Aus setup became available. As did a number of guys out here. To B&Gs credit they refunded all the deposits, and I think they were being fed rubbish from their suppliers..... Has anyone actually got a Surplex kit yet?

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43487

Left all the plumbing in situ. It does not get in the way and to remove it completely achieves nothing.

I originally got the warranty line too when I asked for a kit without dampers. Mind you I was also told the kits would be ready in 3,6,12,16 weeks..... never did get them so cancelled the order when the Aus setup became available. As did a number of guys out here. To B&Gs credit they refunded all the deposits, and I think they were being fed rubbish from their suppliers..... Has anyone actually got a Surplex kit yet?

Roger Parker at the MGOC has got one on his own MGF and fitted it himself last year, awaiting an update on performance, kits are in stock at B&G and MGOC but dont know how many (if any) have been sold. i understand that SUPLEX made a 1000 units which i assume was 250 kits????? i can ask Roger about sales but dont know that i will get a reply??

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43675

I emailed Stuart Ratcliff today and got a reply ealier this evening. Very nice chap.

He said he'll get back to me with the price of the set (without dampers, as I have just had tech-Speed's Bilstein's put on just over a week ago), and shipping (gulp) early next week.

He's sold 50 sets so far, in his words - "including places we never dreamed of ,Greece,Panama ,UK and Taiwan"!

I am not surprised, it's a brilliant idea.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43691

You'll find Stuart is a very straight guy to deal with..... I have known him for more years than we'd both care to remember :-)

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 12 years 1 month ago #43694

I have not had a chance to do it yet, please keep us informed, sounds as if he may be selling some more sets, it is a brilliant idea, and great that you can choose your dampers too.

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 11 years 5 months ago #84515

I am getting very close to having to purchase a replacement kit and after much thought I will purchase our local Australian kit. With regard to stiffer shocks this is what can happen http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ and if you go to F chamber of horrors you will find my sad storey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: Fitting MGF Coil Conversion Kit - Aus Version 11 years 5 months ago #84516

I am very happy with my Aussie Kit, but I too have a problem due to stiffer shocks. Before the Aussie kit came on to the market I had a set of coil overs made. We foolishly installed these using the shock mounting points. OK at the front but very bad on the rear even though we fitted support gussets....

Am suffering from it now and will have to do some welding and re-bracketing...... :-(

Would be interested to hear where yours suffered and how you rectified it.....

Murray A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT