Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi from Southend 1 year 2 months ago #201175

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Having just sold a 1983 Capri and making very slow progress working on the MGBGT Ive had sitting around for some years the last thing I was going to do was to buy another classic car. Then I got a call from my pal Bob who had taken a TF in part excahnge for a car he had sold, didnt have anywhere to put it and offered it to me at what he paid.
Most impressed so far though it's only the lowly 1.6. The first few jobs I have taken care of were to replace the heater blower resistor, clean and febsil the hood, replace the gearknob, fit a battery retainer plate and bolt, replace a few non matching wheelnuts.

Ive now bought a pile of parts from Darren and Jill at Mgfntfbitz that I'l be working my way through as the weather improves; starting with a new carpet and replacement driver's seat back, then swap the manual mirrors for electric ones and wire in its loom and switch, adding front fogs and change the oil and filters. .

Im impressed so far with the affordability of the cars, the availability of parts and the support of this forum including the useful list of How To's.

I had originally only intended to keep the TF for the summer but it's growing on me and the community seems very good.

Does anyone know offhand what the restrictions on performance are from the 1.6 against the 1.8 135. Theres only 200ccs in it which doesnt explain all of that 20bhp difference on it's own. Is the restriction due to the head or is it the size of the throttle body etc ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by .

Hi from Southend 1 year 1 month ago #201369

Any thoughts on how to recoup those 20 horses ? I think i read the head and the cams on the TF 1.6 are the same as on the 135. Is it the ECU, the throttle body or another factor that keeps the power down on the 1.6 ?

Im used to old Ford Pinto engines where the bhp difference between a 1.6 and 2.0 could be reduced to 5 to 7 bhp by just using the standard cam, head and carb from the 2 litre, The power could then be made equal or larger than a standard 2 litre by any mild tuning mod such as a freeflow exhaust manifold or porting and polishing the head.

Is there a known path for the 1.6 K series other than an engine swap ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT