Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200932

Hi all,
I've been contemplating changing my MY2000 Jaguar XK8 for something a little smaller, both physically and cubic capacity wise. Among the candidates have been Porsche Boxster, Fiat 124 Spider(new one), BMW Z3/4 and the MX-5 NC. I have an MY06 diesel Freelander for the day to day things so whatever I get will be my bit of a treat! :thumbsu:
The Boxster would probably give me nightmares about its IMS bearing unless it'd definitely been done and they are a bit popular in the eyes of thieves. So they're out.
The Fiat, hmm well it's an MX-5 with a different body and also I don't really want anything to do with a turbo. The Jag is a NA 4.0 and prior to retiring I'd always wanted one but with a company car for decades couldn't justify one.
Beemers, the Z3, I don't know what it is but they don't really appeal. The 4's more appealing but in E89 guise are too complicated with that hard top power roof. Mucho, mucho potential for an expensive surprise. Also, both the 3 and 4 seem to have far too many bushes which are another source of expense. Don't get me wrong, the Jag and myself are familiar with expense - head gasket, timing chains and tensioners, thermostat and housing, brake calipers and other joys, but now it's running superbly.
Luckily I've got a good Freelander if there is such a thing and I've enjoyed (yes, really) changing all its filters and fluids like I used to do when cars had a coil and points!
So that leaves the MX-5. They can rust atrociously from the inside. The NC's can chew their engines if you don't keep a sharp eye on the oil level. Power hood. But reliable and relatively cheap.
So, onto MGF/TF's. Obviously, I've been reading and YT watching and there isn't anything that really causes me to metaphorically sit up with wide eyes. ;) Head gasket? Pah! Coolant pipes upgrade? Sensible. Cambelt? once you've had the £2.5k bill for a Jag this all looks a pleasure. :lol:
So, I've seen Trophy cars website and can honestly say any of them except for the ones over five figures I could see myself buying. Especially the BRG ones. The only things I'd like are heated seats, and I'm sure that's do-able somehow.
Regards,
Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, mnripley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200933

Hi Michael.
:welcome: to the forum from John in Yorkshire . I have owned my TF for 7 years. I took a long time looking before I bought it as I was looking for a particular year and colour. The one I chose was in Kent and I took a slight detour to go and look at what Trophy cars had to offer . Now anyone who knows me will tell you I'm a bit fussy so perhaps I'm being a bit hard on Trophy. I just found their examples a tad , well err, worn ! I know you are going to say that all these cars are now quite old but even with the Trophy cars having the dreaded Head Gasket up grade as part of the sale , I just didn't see anything that I fancied.
There are absolutely loads if cars for sale out there so choose carefully would be my advice . My TF did the 200 odd mile journey from Kent without missing a beat and I love it to bits .

John .

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200934

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. As I’ve never been in a F/TF let alone driven one, there is one in Brighouse on the AA site that I’m planning on looking at as soon as this terrible rain gives it a rest!
If the dealer is as good as the one I got the Jag ( Another AA site dealer) from it’ll be a plus mark for that.
One problems for me is there’s so many really good colours - BRG, metallic red and blue, solid red. I think the yellow is a bit too ‘out there’ for me but wifey might like it. But she’s got her red Cooper S rag top to zip around in.
Regards,
Michael.

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200935

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200936

:welcome:

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 3 months ago #200970

Hi and welcome to the forum

Heated seats are defiantly doable, I have done 3 sets so far.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 2 months ago #201054

Hi there😎

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 2 months ago #201081

Hi Michael welcome to the forum. TFs are great fun in every aspect fun to drive fun to maintain fun to modify and almost fun to repair.

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 1 year 1 month ago #201394

Have you taken the plunge yet ? The great thing is these cars are not at all expensive currently and the parts are still easy to get hold of.

Having had several other classic cars I can say that right now MGF / TF ownership is in the Goldilocks zone. Now would be the time whether its a mint example or something that needs some work
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 10 months 2 weeks ago #202594

Hi Notanumber,
After a good while of radio silence, I do believe I’m about to pull the trigger on an 03 TF160.
I’m viewing it tomorrow but it’s write up sounds perfect - everything that should be done to F/TF’s has been done apart from the coolant level sensor. HG, cambelt, water pump, coolant pipes. One owner, so there’s years of records. The MOT history is almost spotless, completely spotless could be a bit of a red flag (IMO) with only minor brake wear related items. If there anything else I should be paying attention to please let me know. I’ve spoken to the seller two or three times, he seems on the level, not vague, evasive and has spent £15 putting me on his insurance so I can actually drive it.
So, I’ll see how it goes and report back.
Cheers,
Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Notanumber

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 10 months 2 weeks ago #202609

So, an update. Went to see the motor above and it’s been loved and looked after with cambelt, water pump, and other equipment replaced last month at MGFnTFBitz. Unfortunately, it threw an engine light and I’d forget my reader(🤦🏻‍♂️) so am going back tomorrow to see which code it has. Within the last 6 months it had P1522, P1070, and P0655. My understanding is that 1522 is something to do with VVC. I know nothing about VVC so is it a major issue or not?
Regards,
Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Hi new member from N.Yorkshire 10 months 1 week ago #202634

Have you told Darren at MGFNTFBITZ that you are looking to buy a car they have maintained ? They could advise you on the 1522 fault code as they will know the most likely causes
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT