Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198396

Hello everyone.

Introducing me and my 2000 MGF 1.8i.

So I go by the handle Teribus13, my name is Chris. I'm a bus mechanic from the Scottish Borders of Scotland.

My MGF is a 2000 X-reg that I bought from my friend Davy, who himself won in a roffle from the Facebook page "Retrosh*te" (I've censored the word as I don't want to be hit with the naughty stick on my first post! 🤣). I got it with 42,000 miles on the clock, but despite the low mileage the car is needing some work.

I have started documenting my adventures with this car on YouTube under my handle teribus13, and I can also be found on Instagram with the same handle. I'm not plugging these to gain followers, only for anyone who wants to see my shenanigans.

So, yeah, Hi! 👋

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic added

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198398

Welcome aboard. The MGF is in that transitional phase where average examples are currently worth more as parts. This means that it is a good time to save one because they are getting rarer and there are still a lot of used parts around.The horror stories of the head gasket can be easily avoided by waiting until the oil temperature gauge is moving before exceeding 3,000 RPM and fitting a low coolant level alarm. The tinworm usually gets to the rear sills first and good repair panels are now made for these. Yours should be on 15" wheels. Toyo proxes are good tyres as are Falken Zeix 310 and MGFs like a matched set. They are a good fun car. Enjoy!
Edit: just seen the car on youtube. Looks as though you have a nice one there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teribus13

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198399

:welcome: to the forum from John in Yorkshire . :broon:

Re:Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198400

Welcome aboard. The MGF is in that transitional phase where average examples are currently worth more as parts. This means that it is a good time to save one because they are getting rarer and there are still a lot of used parts around.The horror stories of the head gasket can be easily avoided by waiting until the oil temperature gauge is moving before exceeding 3,000 RPM and fitting a low coolant level alarm. The tinworm usually gets to the rear sills first and good repair panels are now made for these. Yours should be on 15" wheels. Toyo proxes are good tyres as are Falken Zeix 310 and MGFs like a matched set. They are a good fun car. Enjoy!

Yes, I agree, now is definitely the time to save an MGF and thats my intention with mine. It could easily have ended up broken for spares. I'm already part way through swapping the front subframe, the original part on my car was well past it. I've bought one that's been blasted and galvanized, it's a huge improvement over what was there originally. I'm fitting it with new wishbones, top ball joints, track rod ends and wheel bearings, everything is getting protected as I go.

Mine has been fitted with the 16" 11-spoke wheels at some point, which is handy as I'm fitting the 4-pot AP calipers when I'm rebuilding the front end - the original calipers needed either an overhaul or replacement anyway as the pistons were sticking, so it makes sense to do the upgrade as my first impression of the MGF was it's underbraked.

The bodyshell on mine is not the worst for rust. It's had one sill patched previously, the rest of that sill and the other side are both solid enough. The two floor pans have lost their grommets and are crusty, so they'll need a wee patch welded in. And I've a small repair to do to the rear floor as well. Overall, nothing major at all. Cosmetically, yeah, it's not pretty, but again - I bought it as a project.

My aim at the moment is to get it through an MOT in March - I want it to pass the MOT with no advisories. 🤞

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198401

Well, good luck; you will find plenty of help here.

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198402

Hi and welcome to the forum

Looking foward to progress reports on your project.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hello from Teribus13 2 years 1 month ago #198407

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Hi Chris, welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/