Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194725

Hi, I am 75 and have just bought the second MG in my life. The first was in the 60's, a VA which I didn't keep long.
I hope the TF will be as much fun though. I am on my own now so I don't feel the need of a spacious car, although I also have a camper van of I need more room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, sworkscooper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194730

:welcome:

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194731

Thank you for the welcome.
I have been looking through the forum a lot and the "How to" guides in particular, as they are so useful and save asking.
However the usefulness of some is reduced or destroyed by the fact that the photographs are no longer available.
Many are 10 years or more old, so it would be asking a lot to have them rewritten, but perhaps the missing photos could be added in a fie at the end please.

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194733

:welcome2:
David
:shrug:

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194734

Thank you!
As few other bars are open, this seems like a good one to join.

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194737

Hello and :welcome: to the forum from John in Pudsey West Yorkshire .
These cars are great fun to drive but can be a tad frustrating at times . :hgf: :drive:

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194738

Thank you sworkscooper for the welcome.
I am from Okehampton,Devon.
Would you care to enlarge on the "frustration" you find with these cars?

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194739

Well how long have you got to spare this evening. It would be unfair of me to unload the whole of the F nTF's faults on to a new owner . Suffice to say MG / Rover were'nt exactly bleesed with deep pockets when building these car which by the way are now well into their old age in car terms . The cars were built using the BMC / Rover parts bin , meaning if they could build a car with left overs from other designs they did .
Rest assured that the folks on this excellent forum will always point you in the right direction if you get stuck .
By the way, Oakhamton isn't far from my big Sister who lives in Yelverton.
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cobber

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194740

Thank you for that, I do understand the problems of the older car, never having bought a new one. My last car was a Renault Grand Scenic diesel, which never gave me any major problems although I became an expert window winder module replacer!
I just felt that a change from a "sensible" car to a sports car was needed, at my age it was really now or never.
So far it has been an enjoyable experience, even in the wet.

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194741

I bought my TF 6 years ago and apart from a drivers door lock problem it has been fine but it is / was low mileage. You have be prepared to put money into a car that has by now been through several owners who may have neglected certain areas . This was the case with mine . I have taken my TF to France every year ( apart from this year ) and it has not missed a beat .
Your comment about it being nice to drive is correct but be careful when driving in the wet as they can catch you out and without stating the obvious, they will not behave as a front wheel drive car . Press the loud pedal too hard when on a bend / corner and you will need an armful of opposite lock . :omg:
John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Spelling

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194744

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

...I'm in my early 50s and find it quite hard already to get in and out of the TF... :drive:
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Last edit: Post by Bertl.

New MGTF owner 3 years 4 months ago #194747

Thank you for the welcome Bertl,
I am looking forward to the rain stopping so that the roof can go back and I wont need to duck under it to get in & out.
I only bought it on the 1st December, from a dealer "fully serviced".
Looked at the alternator drive belt today and it is cracked beyond belief, so I will not be using it till I get that replaced and also check the cam belt. Neither are covered by the warranty.
I have also ordered the belt adjuster mod as it looks a good idea.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT