Long time no see

• alias
  • alias's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Replied by alias on topic Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150767

bryan young wrote: Hi Sophie, I am still here too, also involved with the MGF Register forum and MGWW (MG WorldWide) but 'stick my oar in' quite often on here, not sure if anyone takes any notice!!!

I am very involved in producing Birth Certificates for MGF & TF owners (they are free) as i have access to three sets of MG Rover records and with the last six digits of the VIN i can tell you exactly when the car was built, if it was home or export market and the exact specification. if you email [email protected] i can give you an instant reply.

These searches have shown up some interesting facts/cars. an Epsom Club member who bought a new TF Spark in May 2006 and was told that it had been in stock for a while after MG Rover went tits up, turns out that it was actually made (born) in early JANUARY 2005 (without glass rear window) and had been in the dealers for 16 months. An MGF that was used for TF development and should have been crushed, slipped the net and is now being raced by Chris Gillie who i am still in touch with. I have been involved with tracking down the last TF that was made (for an article in MG Enthusiast) The one put forward was never proven as the last and the car with the last VIN still exists and is currently in Sweden. a really interesting one was an 85th Anniversary TF sold by Brown and Gammons in 2013 as a new car for £13,000, it was actually made in 2007/8 a year before the 85th, the Vin sequence does not fit with any MGR records the colour on the vin plate is Rio Red and the car is actually Crystal White. Good luck with your search for a TF 160
Bryan xx

Thank you Bryan. (And hello too!) I'd definitely be interested in a birth certificate if I can get my hands on a VIN. I think I've found a possible car, so hopefully it won't be too much longer now :)

... not that I'm impatient or anything... :bat:
by alias
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re:Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150768
Soph , that X Power Grey TF 160 was first registered in Worcester on 12 February 2003, the current MoT expires on 22 August 2015. and it is taxed until March 2015 (after 1st October it will have to be sold untaxed)
The following user(s) said Thank You: alias

Replied by bryan young on topic Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150769
You, impatient!!!!!! never xx

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150773
Soph, I only need the last six digits of the VIN, the owner can read it off the windscreen, or the plate under the bonnet. behind the ABS modulator

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Replied by alias on topic Re:Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150775
Thank you Brian :)

Why would it need to be sold as untaxed after the 1st October? I've asked for the VIN for it. X
by alias

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re:Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150781
From October 1, tax discs are redundant. It's done online instead, this means that the current owner would need to claim his unused tax and you would tax it from the start of the month.

Of course there's a long time before the 1st. :dry:

David
:shrug:

Replied by bryan young on topic Re:Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150786
Soph, David has answered your question, the new car road tax rules from 1st October 2014 does not allow the seller to pass on the unexpired tax, he or she must get a refund from DVLA and the buyer must tax the vehicle straight away from the beginning of the month.

Tax discs will no longer be supplied and display is not required, even if you already have a valid disc you are not required to display it. The anomaly is that an 'out of date' disc displayed in future will be an offence!!!!!

Look forward to receiving the VIN

XX :woohoo:

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150909
Hi, it's Ian hijacking Soph's thread.

Do you guys have any idea how this new tax thing is going to work in practice? Say I buy a car on 1st Oct, the old owner sends off his tax refund dated 01.10.14 - whats to stop his tax refund being processed before the new owner slip gets processed and I'm able to tax the car in my name?

Even though I'll be the registered keeper from the 1st, I might not be able to tax it in my name for at least a couple of weeks (if not longer knowing the DVLA) - am I then liable for driving the car untaxed for those couple of weeks in between?

Typical that we're looking to buy right at the point where the DVLA are going to change systems with the inevitable meltdown to follow.
by alias

• psymon
  • psymon's Avatar Online
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX

Replied by psymon on topic Long time no see

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150912
Before you can drive the car simply ring 0300 123 4321 and give them the ref number on the New Keeper part of the V5.
or you can do it online here https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc , Job done
by psymon
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, alias, bryan young, Paul Guinan

• alias
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #150944
Thanks psymon,

I figured they must have planned something for this eventuality. Do you know if a dealer will still be able to sell you a taxed car?

Ian
by alias

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #151148
Ian, a dealer will only be able to tax the car for you and no doubt charge for this, any unexpired tax has to be surrendered for a refund by the seller, either to an individual or a dealer !!!

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds