Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6729

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all,
just registered so thought I should introduce ourselves.
My wife, Eleanor, and I have recently bouhgt a new MGTF 85th anniversary edition. Prior to this we had a Mazda MX
I have been really surprise with the differences. In short, the MG fits me better, rides better and is much more flexible to drive. MG build quality is much better that expected and almost up to Mazda standards.
I also have a 1980 MGB GT, which has been in our ownership for 8+ years.
This car has been converted to chrome bumper standard and is in excellent overall condition. Question is, do we keep it or just stick with the TF?
We are members of both the MGCC and the MGOC and we both run the local "Natter nites" for the MGCC Lincolnshire centre.
We like our MG events and particularlt enjoy visiting new sections on the country on various MG events.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6730

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X
:welcome2:

welcome to you, its a bit quiet on here at the mo but stick around for the fun.

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6731

Welcome,

We had a couple of runs out to your neck of the woods during 2009 - look out for the runs during 2010.

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6732

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Hi Keith. Welcome to the forum.

Try not to tell too many people how good the MGs are as loads of people will start buying them and we will have to mix with allsorts then. We have spent years spreading the misinformation that Mx5s are much better cars so that only the MG die hards buy the right cars. :whistle:

My problem is that it is the TF looks that got me. I was hooked, and the only possible 2nd place goes to the Alfa Romeo Spider (New shape) that is within budget. After that it would have to be a Diablo or similar, so you can see the price range jumps a little. I never did get my head around the looks of the Mx5. A perfectly adequate looking and very reliable car, but I could never look back at one with pride.

As for the MGB, it all depends on what you want. If you want to mix it with the "real" MG crowd you will be surprised at how many of the "real" MG owners won't wave at a TF, or even recognise it as an MG. I'm not saying they are all like that, but some of the dyed in the wool MG enthusiasts can be a bit blinkered. My point is, if you can afford it, you might want to keep both, the MGB for the shows etc and the TF for driving out with the younger cars.

Either way, I'm glad that you have joined us and I hope you keep on enjoying the TF.

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6740

:snow:
David
:shrug:

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6746

Hi Keith

Welcome:)

Glad to hear of your comparisons between the MX and the TF
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6754

Hi Keith & Eleanor!

Well done on your new purchase of an 85th anniversary! Can't wait to see pics! :thumbsup:

You'll find that I am a great fan of meets, runs etc. so when we see some warmer weather I will be organising plenty of forum meets to keep us all entertained! :)

Until then enjoy the forum!

Kara

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6789

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi CJJ,
interesting point you raise regarding recognition of the F/TF within the "proper" MG crowd. As a member of both main MG clubs it has been quite interesting to see the gradual transition of these died in the wool anoraks towards the F/TF. One friend has had a TD for 40 years and also a BGT for 30, and has recently bought an F. He likes it! If he is honest, he finds the F much more civilised and suits his need better.
I think it all boils down to age. You reach a point when groveling under old cars and getting cold/wet on a club run looses its facination!
Regarding the B, may well keep it, not too sure so shall see what the spring brings.
Cheers,
Keith

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6790

A big welcome from snowy and windy Wales :welcome: :happynewyear:

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6798

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Hi CJJ,
interesting point you raise regarding recognition of the F/TF within the "proper" MG crowd. As a member of both main MG clubs it has been quite interesting to see the gradual transition of these died in the wool anoraks towards the F/TF.

It's good to hear that they are finally recognising them as MGs. Maybe there is hope, although with my modifications I am sure it would still raise an eyebrow or two. :)

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6802

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
CJJ,
modifying/personalising is what MG's are all about! I cannot stand the rivet counters constantly whining that something "is not standard!" From day one people ALWAYS modified MG's - that was the whole attraction. You could actually do it and improve the bread in the process. Keep it up I say.
Cheers

Greetings from sunny Cleethorpes! 14 years 4 months ago #6803

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

CJJ,
modifying/personalising is what MG's are all about! I cannot stand the rivet counters constantly whining that something "is not standard!" From day one people ALWAYS modified MG's - that was the whole attraction. You could actually do it and improve the bread in the process. Keep it up I say.
Cheers

Hey....I like you.

And so does Deepblue. :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT