Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 month ago #37589

Great how to Adam it made the job a lot easier for me to do.
The top right bolt was a swine, I ended up hacking the old box in half and chizzling out the bolt and retaining clip to remove it.
Also the top three holes are m6 threaded I believe, so lucky for me I had some stainless bolts to put in there.
Here's a pic of the job done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 month ago #37609

How long did it take to do?

I have to have a go at this.

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 month ago #37611

It took me about two hours in all,almost an hour of that was the top right hand bolt :lol:
As i said the top three holes are m6 threaded I needed to tap them out to clean the thread first.You'll also need three nuts and bolts for the bottom three holes.I did it in my garage yesterday there's not much room so it made thing take a little longer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laz1957

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 week ago #43051

It took me about two hours in all,almost an hour of that was the top right hand bolt :lol:
As i said the top three holes are m6 threaded I needed to tap them out to clean the thread first.You'll also need three nuts and bolts for the bottom three holes.I did it in my garage yesterday there's not much room so it made thing take a little longer.

I have just finished doing this - 99% of the time was taken trying to get to that darned hidden screw on the bottom right (looking forward)!

The top three screws are easy, but for the bottom ones, I took off the old screw retaining clips from the old box and secured the screws with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 week ago #43056

Unfortunately the F was either put together by miniature people, or there was no thought whatsoever on how the box would be removed to replace the seal!

Great guide Adam. But please don't talk about Rayb like that.

Ray is totally responsible for building these cars, back in the day, and he's at least 3 inches taller than any midget I've seen. Isn't that right Ray? You tell him. :lol:

Give Adam a thumbs up on his page if you liked his guide. Thankyou very much. Click click.

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 week ago #43069

:bust: thanks leigh im actually 4 inchs taller
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 week ago #43106

No thought was given on how to replace the seal at the time, remember they were using any old parts they could find in the parts bin, before BMW found out that the car was in production :slapme: :omg:

Adams guide was modified from the one i sent him from MGOC (which was copyright) and Roger Parker had to cut up his air intake with a bread knife to get at the offending bolt, which is normal and not a problem because the F one was going to be replaced anyway.

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 12 years 1 week ago #43112

Funny you should mention cutting up the old airbox. I was about to take the top off with a hacksaw to get at that annoyingly placed bolt. But my wife, with her small hands managed to unscrew it!

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 11 years 7 months ago #62481

Prey tell, what is this little black box , I don't have one?

I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere
Attachments:

TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 11 years 3 months ago #89167

I did this mod today. First, thanks to Adam for his 'how to' - very helpful. I also used a couple of tips from Roger Parker's restoration manual.

I more or less followed Adam's guide except I left the servo in position. Of the 4 bolts that hold the air box in, I found the 2 you access via the removed glove box hole to be relatively easy - provided you are able to work lying on your back in the footwell - although one required a UJ on the socket. The front left (looking at the box) under the bonnet was also simple. For the really difficult bolt I used the Roger Parker tip of putting the car on a ramp and using a double socket extenstion (20 inches) via the hole in the subframe....once I'd accepted that I had to work from a ramp, this was actually the easiest bolt to remove!

I then resorted to a pad saw and drill with 20mm wood boring bit to cut-up the old box to remove it (a la Parker)...by then I was in the mood for some serious destruction.

After a clean-up and cup of tea I placed the new box in postion and used 'socket button' A2 M6 bolts (Screwfix 25864) with A2 M6 penny washers (Screwfix 99795) to locate the 3 rear holes. And then I really struggled to sort out the front 3....a lack of access from underneath which could be the compelling reason to move the servo. My solution, not as neat as Adam's, was to use socket cap bolts (Screwfix 93965) pushed up from underneath (with a washer) - I found a bit of vaseline on an Allen Key to hold them helped - then secured with a penny washer and 2 hex nuts (all A2). To tighten the nuts - bearing in mind they shouldn't be so tight to distort the plastic - I resorted to holding the protruding thread with pliers while using a spanner below them then putting on a second nut as a locker....nylocs would have been too tedious.

Anyway, maybe not a perfect solution but a workable one. Pictures below. By the way, Brown & Gammons do have a small stock of the intake - it's part no 276314DB (MGF/TF Air Box) and was £39.14 delivered 1st class signed for.

Richard

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:

TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 11 years 3 months ago #89170

Looks like you did a neat job Richard. :broon:

Does anybody know what that black box is that Ken (Yellow peril) asked about above please? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: TF Air intake on an F - How to upgrade. 11 years 3 months ago #89176

Prey tell, what is this little black box , I don't have one?

I think that's an air con relay box

EDIT: Confirmed..

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yellow Peril

Last edit: Post by cjmillsnun.
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT