Sign In   Register

Topic

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 1 week ago #166761

Hi. After parking my TF up over winter ,I thought it wise to give the brakes the once over. I have only had the car just over a year and the previous owner had fitted new discs and pads all round before I bought it. Last year it passed its test without any problems. Since parking the TF up I have bought a new daily drive ( Honda ) and traded in my trusty MG ZR. The ZR had excellent brakes . The Honda's brakes are to put it mildly vicious and it has taken a while for myself and my wife to get used to. After driving the Honda and then jumping into the TF the comparison in performance is vast. Forgetting the comparison with the overly keen Honda brakes , if I compare the TF to the ZR , I could do an emergency stop with the ZR and feel the ABS operating . With the TF I can't . Now you are going to ask if the callipers or sliders are free , well yes , they are all okay. After reading about the servo flexing and the bracket you can fit to stiffen it, my question is this. Is it worth fitting it and will there be any noticeable improvement in braking performance ? Is it me expecting too much from a braking system that is a throw back to the Metro ? I am prepared to fit the servo bracket but I just thought that you guy's ( and girls) that have more experience with the TF could give me your opinion. Cheers, John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 1 week ago #166763

It is worth fitting a servo flex bracket but don't expect miracles :nonod: . As you say, it is an old design braking system with fairly small discs. Braided hoses also help and I fitted a bigger front brake disc to my previous F. That definitely helped.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 1 week ago #166764

Yes well thank you for that Robin, I thought as much. I think that the last few months parked up and add to that the ' stop on a tanner ' Honda brakes made me think that I had both front flexi hoses clamped , the difference in performance was so startling . I think I will still fit the brace to the servo just for my own peace of mind . Thanks again. J

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 1 week ago #166776

Alan Crossley (www.ac-me.co.uk) deleloped a bracket for me as most on the market were flexible 2mm steel. You can read how successfully it works at: http://mgfmania.com/the-history-of-mgf-mania/ - its Alan who's fitting the brakes to my MGF http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss357/MGFMania/Servobracketfitted_zpscc4d488d.jpg

Last edit: Post by mgfmania.

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 6 days ago #166782

Typical that you have a one legged version. I bought mine from a guy on another mg forum who made a bunch of em and it's a two legged version so it symmetrical in it's resistent force.
I think it was on MGFregister but i'm not sure.

Note it's a LHD

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 4 days ago #166874

jaylad on mgf register was making them I got mine from him :broon:
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 4 days ago #166882

jaylad on mgf register was making them I got mine from him :broon:

Me too,mines still in the garage in a box :coat:

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 3 days ago #166902

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Typical that you have a one legged version. I bought mine from a guy on another mg forum who made a bunch of em and it's a two legged version so it symmetrical in it's resistent force.
I think it was on MGFregister but i'm not sure.

Note it's a LHD

I made mine to rectify my specific flexing which just needed the one arm. I think Jaylad added the other arm to be more universal.

Not sure if all flexing was the same as mine.

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 3 days ago #166903

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 3 days ago #166904

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

I am prepared to fit the servo bracket but I just thought that you guy's ( and girls) that have more experience with the TF could give me your opinion. Cheers, John

I am assuming you have the standard brakes.

If you have a flexing problem then the bracket will help, but it won't perform miracles.

If you upgrade the brakes to AP or similar then you will be able to stop on a sixpence, but more than that. you will suffer less brake fade due to heat.

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 2 days ago #166949

Brake Servo Flex Fix 8 years 2 days ago #166967

Bob, shame on you, it only takes 10 minutes
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Time to create page: 1.031 seconds