Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161001

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
That's really interesting because I have just fitted Uniroyal Rainspsort 2s to the front of my F about a couple of months ago and they are incredibly good in all conditions! Do you Have a TF? They do seem much more particular with tyre makes than the F.
Of course, suspension geometry is a BIG factor in handling characteristics

Sometimes you just have to :-? Go figure! :-?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161005

Can't we have a poll started with 2 questions:
1) What tyres is your MG F/TF currently running on ? and
2) What tyre would you buy today if you'd need new tyres ?

Re:MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161006

I used 215/40/16 all round on the F. And experienced a tramming effect. Moved to 195/45/16 on the front and 215/40/16 on the rear, end of tramming! I purchased GT Radials and they stuck like glue!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161008

Can't we make a poll on this site with 2 questions:

1) What tyres are you running now ?
2) What tyres would you by today if you'd need new tyres?

With the most likely 10 or 15 tyre types as a choice.

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161020

Well I'm driving my first TF, bought in Jan. & driven 50 miles daily since Apr., and it's shod with 15" Continentals. Thus far in all the weathers over this time I am more than happy with the Continentals, dry or wet, and I am not a "hang around" driver having raced, rallied & track dayed MGs in the past.

I own an MGB that I've run VERY happily on Uniroyals for close on 30 years, so my intention is to replace the whole lot of Continentals with Uniroyals probably when the older rear tyre needs replacing. Uniroyals are cheaper than Continentals and seem to be well rated on these forums for wet & dry performance.

I have run Continentals before on an MGA and was happy then, but they replaced an odd set of tyres, so hardly surprising they were better.

Last edit: Post by John Prewer.

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161034

Hello David
It's a TF
I put the Rainsports on the back. The handling went to pot it randomly changes direction on the straight and mid bend not happy at all as I am sure in contributed to my crash.
The reviews for the tyres are generally good however a few comment on the handling being poor in certain conditions some of the foreign reviews are less complementary. My two options were put more on the front or ditch them and try something different. I have decided to go with Proxies all round although I would prefer a better wet grip tyre.
I would have just gone with the Kumho's again but I cant seem to get the sizes at the moment.
I emailed Uniroyal who came back with this,

Good afternoon Andy,

Thank you for your email, I appreciate your concerns,

Please be assured we do not a stability issue with this tyre.

This may occur on rare occasions when mixing different styles of tyres. The design and development of the latest generations of tyres is highly sophisticated. More parameters have to be addressed, for example the EU Labelling, which covers not only the grip and safety aspects but also the product is judged on the fuel efficiency and comfort. As a result occasionally again for example, if a tyre which is intended to be highly sporty is mixed with a tyre which has a better comfort rating are mixed on the same vehicle the feel of instability may be felt. This can sometimes be remedied by addressing/increasing the pressure. Sometimes there will simply be incompatibilities between makes and models.

The issue needs addressing by you and the tyre retailer where you purchased the tyres from, as that is where you have a contractual agreement under the sales of goods act, and they in turn have entered into the same with us.

I'm sorry this is not an exact science sometimes.However I hope this offers some assistance.

Best Regards

Ian Jackson

ta
Andy

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161038

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
That's interesting information. I currently have rainsport 2s on the front and Nexen 6000s on the back. The car now is a bit looser at the rear, whereas previously with Nexen6000s all aroundit was very stable.
However analysing this, I know it is because the rainsport2s are more grippy than the Nexens I am now using higher speeds in corners and the Nexens are just beginning to come to the end of their grip level. I intend to fit rainsport 2s on the rear at the next change.

It would be interesting exercise to compare the rainsport 2s to the 3s on the same vehicle.
David

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161039

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

Can't we have a poll started with 2 questions:
1) What tyres is your MG F/TF currently running on ? and
2) What tyre would you buy today if you'd need new tyres ?

We can do that. :yesnod:
David

MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161042

My thoughts are.
1 the Rainsports grip so much better they are driving the fronts if that makes sense but that would not explain the instability on the straights. When I first had the car it had Nexen copys on the rear and two random tyres on the front. The effect was similar but nowhere near as bad.
2 The rear tyres carry a lot of weight as the engine and the driver are on top of them although the MG is not steering with them as well it might be the tyre wall flexing, certainly in the bends and when the power is coming on and off as the the bias of the car changes.
I have noticed that the negative reviews on the Rainsport3 tend to be rear wheel drive cars and cars with different tyres fitted on the other axle.
Just wish I had read more reviews before buying the things. expensive mistake

Re:MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161045

David, F,s and TF,s here in oz only came with 15 or 16 rims. Did the UK give a 17" option?
The GT Radials were original equipment from the MGR dealer. Very interesting thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161046

My 95 F has Yokohama S.drive tires front and rear, installed three years ago. I find they have great grip both dry and wet. My wife's 95 F has Yokohama S.drive tires at the front and GT Radials at the back. I haven't yet drive the car in the wet but it handled well on the 2 hour drive home a couple weeks ago. The GT Radials were probably on the car when it was imported 5 years ago (never seen this brand in Canada), whereas the Yokohama S.drive tires are only a couple years old.
Mark
95 MGF

Re:MGF/TF User Recommended Tyres for 15" & 17" wheels 8 years 9 months ago #161057

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
There was no factory option for 17s but a number of members have fitted 17" aftermarket wheels and I included their information when compiling my tables.
David

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT