Sign In   Register

Topic

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #976

Right,given the recent successes of various runs 'Up North' here's another one......

Date....................22nd November
Meeting Point.......Sherburn-in-Elmet,Squires Cafe
Time....................10am meet for 10.30 Start
Final Destination...Mother Shiptons Cave

http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

This is the web site for the meet point..(dont worry it wont be that busy at end of november...trust me...).

Here we will be able to get a tea or coffee and a sandwich before setting off.

I thought at this time of year it would be nice to have a sight-seeing finishing point to the run so i thought of this....

Mother Shiptons Cave

http://www.mothershiptonscave.com/main.htm

I figure that it would be best to aim for an arrival time of around 1.30pm as in November it closes at 4.30pm and this would give everyone sufficient time to enjoy all its sights and amenities.

As you will see from the site its £6 entry,(£5 senior citizens).However discounts are given for groups of 15 or more so i will look into this.

Therefore if all goes well we will have around 3 hours for the run which I will be checking out soon....this will of course take in some lovely country roads in North Yorkshire...i will drop in a rest stop at a suitable point for refreshments etc....I will try make the run somewhere in the region of 50-70 miles so nothing too arduous for the winter.

The day is set for a Sunday but if a lot of people show a preference for the Saturday this could be changed...from experience i have found that offering dates throws up too many if's and but's so lets see how it goes...

The Route is as follows.......

Turning right out of Squires we head to Sherburn-in-Elmet...Turning left at the lights (after doing dry run it is safer to do this as there are several speed bumps if we go straight on,the last one being very high)...So left at the lights to the roundabout and then right moving on towards Cawood on A162...At the next roundabout we go left joining back on the B1222...Then straight over that roundabout on to Cawood...On through Stillingfleet...Then we take a left at the Cross Keys Inn towards Nayburn...Then right onto Howden Lane (also posted as Trans Penine Trail) at the end of this road we turn left onto the A19 and then right at the lights signposted Wheldrake and Thorganby...Then we turn left at the Wenlock Arms signposted Elvington on the B122B...Then we take a right on Common Lane towards Dunnington...Working our way through to the A166 where we turn right towards Stamford Bridge...through Gate Helmsley...Then taking a left signposted Buttercrambe...After driving through Buttercrambe we take a left up and through Scrayingham with a possible ford dependant on the weather...We then turn left towards Barton le Willows...Left again towards York and then left again briefly onto A64...We then turn right signposted Sheriff Hutton/Flaxton...in Flaxton there is a nice country pub where i think will be the best place to stop for a break...From here we will carry on through West Lilling..Then left to Strensall,right towards Stillington...Then left at Sutton-on-the-Forest moving on to Huby then taking a left towards Cross Lanes..(this is a nice bit of road where anyone fancying a heavy foot can do so i reckon)...At cross lanes we turn left on to the A19 towards Shipton..then right towards Tollerton and then left to Newton on Ouse,onto Linton-on-Ouse,up towards Aldwark...Then left on Boat Lane over the River Ouse towards Little Ouseburn...then left onto the B6265...We then turn right joining the A59 where we will keep on until we reach Mother Shiptons Cave.

I will pm my mobile number to all confirmed the week before the run.

Please show your interest and will edit this first post as the list increases......

Attendees...

1.Jester........Andy
2.Youngbill....Bill and Julie
3.J R.....John and Dawn
4.hillbillie/Sabryalle....Steve and Marie...(ellie and tiff)
5.rossocorsa...?
6.mg polo rover...Paul plus little sis
7.K J....kev and jane.....(MX-5)
8.Mr.Ian.....Ian...(ZT)
9.Adam-MGTF...adam + 1
10.MikeKnight....Mike
11.Stig?-Stump!....???
12.birks....???
13.alastair_dmc....vicky

Maybe's

philmgf.....phil + 1
paul and ruth
MG Chic....kara..(southerner..)
Jim_bhp....Jim
Iain160Trophy......Iain (aka captain lost)
Bradski37.....Brad?
jonnocash....john?
Deano.....Dean
Phil-hex
ukbiker + 1...and maybe more
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Is so skint he's off to become a sperm donor.....when i think of the money i've let slip through my fingers!!!:whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #993

Andy - just Polo on here, lol

Paul

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #995

lol i copied and pasted
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Is so skint he's off to become a sperm donor.....when i think of the money i've let slip through my fingers!!!:whistle:

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #1209

lol i copied and pasted

Cheeky...........................

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #2708

• birks
  • Loves going topless!!!
sorry , that was the cat!!!

I'll try , depending on baby sitters/somewhere to palm my kids (JOKE-HOMEST!!!)

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3269

list now updated

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3297

Cant make this one mate.... Skint :( .. Will get to meet up with you early next year though I hope...
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3673

Have a great run guys! Can't wait to see pics!

Well done Andy for organizing this day! :thumbsup:

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3723

Have a great run guys! Can't wait to see pics!

Well done Andy for organizing this day! :thumbsup:

The run was fab. I skipped the visit to Mother Shiptons to go and visit my gran, hence why I am first home.

9 MG's and 1 MX5
9 hoods down and 1 hard top (not the MX5)

One dry ford, but some flooding to plough through en route.

Big thumbs up to Andy

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3725

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
So wheres the pics?

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3726

The run was fab. I skipped the visit to Mother Shiptons to go and visit my gran, hence why I am first home.

9 MG's and 1 MX5
9 hoods down and 1 hard top (not the MX5)

One dry ford, but some flooding to plough through en route.

Big thumbs up to Andy

Who let the MG's down then??
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Mother Shiptons Cave Run November 22nd 14 years 5 months ago #3732

After what seemed like months of waiting between runs the day of the Mother Shiptons run finally arrived. There was much discussion on the Forum about the weather conditions following the recent flooding in Cumbria, but we were blessed with a dry day.

The meet was at Squires Cafe, a well known biking haunt, overrun for a few minutes at least by 9 MG F's and TF's, accompanied as always by the boyish Kev and his lovely wife Jayne in their MX5. Hood down was the order of the day, all except for Mike who forgot to take his hard top off..!!

The run took us through the villages of the Vale of York, passing through Stamford Bridge - the location of the famous battle in 1066 where King Harold defeated the Norwegians, over the toll bridge at Aldwark and a couple of missed turns on the way.

Despite the recent heavy rain, the one ford on the route was dry so we had to make do with driving through big puddles and down one flooded road. The Water Waiters are never without water on their runs.

We stopped somewhere en route to take in the scenery. I was glad that I brought my little Sis along with me when we stopped - I didn't put the hand brake on properly when we parked up and was relieved that she had stayed in the car as she pulled hard on the handbrake as the car started rolling forward..!!

After travelling some excellent driving roads we ended up at Mother Shiptons in Knaresborough where Penny and I left the party to go visit our Gran in Harrogate.

All in all a great day out with the MG (and MX5) crew. Thanks Andy for arranging the run and for keeping us all together after the numerous right turns!

Paul

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT