Sign In   Register

Topic

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149761

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Allan who are you with? Would really like to put a face to the Diesel Destroyer.

Should be easy to spot me and Saul

See you, Rich and Paula, Ian and all the rest tonight. Safe journey everyone and don't forget to bring your donations.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re:Re: FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149775

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149779

Big respect to all those who attended. :hugs:

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149786

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Hopefully the run and auction held raised a lot of money for a very worthy cause.

The weather was kind to us and we had a dry roof down evening. The run itself turned out to be a rather manic affair which would have definitely benefited from the 'enthusiastic' lead pack slowing down a bit which would have helped to keep the convoy together, generating a more relaxed friendly atmosphere. The mad dash around 86 miles of motorway at night resulted in a few going astray and, personally, the run itself did not quite live up to expectations.

Talking of not living up to expectations, I finally got meet Allan, Diesel Destroyer. I had always thought he was a decent bloke, but how people appear over the internet can be very deceptive :dry: After meeting him it turns out he is not as nice as I had thought afterall :nonod:

Turns out, not only is he is very knowledgeable, interesting, a really nice guy, but he's good looking too. Damn, don't you just hate it when that happens. :lol:

Great to see Richard and Paula again and Peter and Sonia from MGFMania.

Thanks to all who attended and supported the event.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149793

Paul I must send you that money lol

Was a great night and hopefully Ian was looking down on us and smiling..

Some great cars there.. (Non with lambo doors though.. Yet)

Was great to finally meet Rich N Paula after years of talking to Rich on forums..

Of course out very own Paul.. Plus a few of the others I talk to on Facebook..

Highlight of the evening for me though was a ride in Tonys TF which is running over 200 bhp.. On Jenvy ITBs..

Worth all that expense to gain 45 bhp? Hell yes.. Nothing else there could keep up with it.. If mine is anything like that I'll be impressed

I love meeting people for real.. Dunno about you lot but I usually build up a mental picture of the people I see posting and it's always much nicer to meet the person behind the keyboard.. Reminds us they are real people too with day to day issues and worries too.. With often the one same interest as us.. These lovely little cars

Hope to see more at next years one.. It needs supporting if it's gonna grow

Allan
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149800

We didn't take any photos due to a slight oversight on batteries!
:slapme:
I was going to buy some at Birch services, but was accosted by Luke brandishing a collection bucket so the money went in there instead :yesnod:

Really good to meet old friends and put faces to names with new people, especially in aid of a very worthy cause.
A huge "Thanks everyone" for a great night - Even if it did turn into a bit of slightly manic dash around the Manc motorways.
Still can't believe 'someone' who was supposed to be in the lead stopping to put up his windstop as he was "getting a bit chilly" . :bust:

Please post your photos, reports & thoughts in this thread.
Hope you all had a good time.

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149866

There were always gonna be teething troubles and as the saying goes - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Think most feel the same about the run being too fast for what was a memorial run.

Seems both us and James like a safe, fast drive in appropriate places - (only up to 70mph of course unless on our jointly owned private top secret race track) - but we were holding back a little to try and keep up with the car in front and give the cars behind in the distance some hope of seeing our tail lights so we had to pull over in the layby when there was no sign of anyone either ahead or behind. Thankfully you all found the way and came flying past after a short stop so we regrouped for a while, long enough to try and get some video footage but I don't think thats gonna come out too well due to:

1) The darkness (of night - not the band - they had nothing to do with it, even though there was a chap with blue hair that I thought may be in the band?).

2) Camera shake because Paula had to take her glove off to operate the camera and had cold hands at the speeds we were doing.

3) Wind noise. (no comment).

4) My crap taste in 'backing music'.

I know my mate (Ian in the 'purple' F) gave up and turned off home due to the speeds required just to keep up, maybe unfortunately others did too.

On the whole though, I think we have the basis of a good run for the north, which given another chance could be great now we've had a practice try - lol.

I know that from near the rear as we set off and looking along the line of F's & TF's speeding through the night, Ian (Touchstone) would of been quite proud that we'd managed to do 'something' in his memory.

But I still think IF we do it again, we need walkie talkies.....and a tunnel...

Last edit: Post by richandpaula.

Re:FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149878

hi rich was a good run with so many nice motors to check out and lots of people to chat to about our motors as you say problem was. that for the likes of us whome came out the services at the back whilst front runners wur caining it off in to the distance we had to negotiate traffick filtering in that split us up from the crowd would of been nice to all stick together but never the less thankyou to one and all for attending especialy guys and girls whome met up with myself and rich at oulton park we had a superb time and met some very nice people thankyou all. regards ian burrows aka bugsy amaranth purple mgf cheers guys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, richandpaula

FRM - 6th September - THIS Saturday! 9 years 7 months ago #149905

Just a thought on getting different types of drivers from a 2 b without losing any
From my IAM m/c days
Second man drop-off.
You need;
A point rider/driver. (They must not be overtaken)
A tail- end charlie (they will always be last)
Any number of willing participants.
Everyone gets point and tail end charlie mobile numbers and the route.
Everyone agrees the rules before the off
Point drives near junction for tun off and signals (usually with indicator)
Second car/bike stops and signals and waits for tail end charlie. Point drives off and number 3 follows becoming the second man everyone fololws point and new second.
all drivers pass and take the junction except the tail end charlie who allows the signaller in in front.
at the next junction the second car is directed to stop by point ......
and so on.
Hundred of bikers use this method every week to do social run outs of all lengths and complexities to all manner of places.
Admittedly motorways especially at night are more challenging.
It only ever fails if someone doesn't wait for tail end charlie, the social fallout for not waiting is fairly high :spank:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT