Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178907

I.m thinking of changing my 1.6 for a 1.8 what would be the best option 1 know the vvcis the highest output will i need all the ancillarys or can some be salvaged from my 1.6

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:RE: Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178930

I.m thinking of changing my 1.6 for a 1.8 what would be the best option 1 know the vvcis the highest output will i need all the ancillarys or can some be salvaged from my 1.6

Well I've not done it but I can imagine it is quite a big task, for one you need the ECU to go with the engine, then most probably the wiring loom or at least some additional wiring, faced with that alone I personally would sell the 1.6 and find a 1.8 F or TF , just my thoughts I sure others will disagree but you need all the facts before making the decision, there's nothing worse than starting a major task then hitting a huge unseen hurdle. Good luck and I hope you get all the information needed.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Re:RE: Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178932

A much cheaper, easier option would be to have the ecu chipped. That would probably be the equivalent of changing to a 1.8 mpi.

Of course, changing to a VVC would give you the max improvement but it's a big job. And more power if you get that chipped.

The easiest way is to swap out the rear subframe with engine and ancillaries attached. you will need the ecu and wiring loom of the new engine too.

Other than that it is a straight swap, although to be 100% you'd need to swap the rev counter for one with the correct redline, but not really necessary..
David
:shrug:

Re:RE: Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178933

I must agree with all of the above comments. Changing engines is a really, really big job with hidden pitfalls. If you like the car, but just need more power, the best option and easiest option would be the re chipping of the ecu.
Remember, if you are going to fit a more powerful engine-vvc, will you need to upgrade the brakes etc? And then, disclose the modifications to the insurance company!!
For me it would be re chip first, then if not happy, change the car for something a bit more powerful, and just cruise. We don't need to race or thrash these machines, just drive them to enjoy, and last.

Cheers, David

Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178951

Yes given that a 160 vvc can be had for £2000 or less it is not worth the bother of changing the engine as that would cost just as much and the insurance on a 1600 converted to 18i or vvc would be more than a std 18i or vvc
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Engine Swap 6 years 9 months ago #178964

It's always better to buy a car you want than convert a car you don't want...is there really that much difference in power between the 1600cc and the 1800cc 135 bhp...not a great deal and I reckon you would be dissapointed with the outcome...test drive a 1800cc 135 bhp car....if your dissapointed try the 160bhp...still dissapointed then get the wallet out and try a Honda type r engine transplanted init..can be done but at the all time big question....at what price? And was it worth the effort?
And that big question of where your driving the car?..in England or the nurburgring

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT