Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37157

Do we have anyone on here thats done it? have looked at a few DIY guides online and it seems pretty straight forward if not time consuming and a little OCD which suits me fine.

Managed to get my hands on 4 black 17 inch Ripspeed RS Alloys with tyres for £50, they're a bit battered and bruised so am looking to refurbish them and either give them a go on the TF (via the adaptors) whilst I refurb my own 16 inch 11 spoke or sell them on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Luckymarine.

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37159

Nope, but its something I'm looking to try on my own wheels when the weather is warm and fine for a while... I don't see it being a quick job mainly due to the drying times of paint and varnish! But it should be easy enough to get a decent finish.
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37160

I've done my own for quite a while, and if you can fill and sand, and apply primer and paint on bodywork. You can refurbish wheels. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37165

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

...pretty straight forward if not time consuming and a little OCD which suits me fine.

You sound ideally suited to the task, it does take patience to get good results. You will not be able get the same long term results painting as opposed to powder coating but as long as you apply a good few thin coats of paint then a few coats of lacquer, allowing each to dry thoroughly and lightly rubbing down between each, you can't go far wrong.
Only real problem this time of year is having it warm enough to do the painting, I assume you have a garage/workshop you're going to work in.

Go for it and don't forget to take a few before and after photos :thumbsup:

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37166

Well this is the before, will probably cut the tyres off if they are useless so I can get to the full alloy. 4 alloys for £50, if they are only a learning experience it will be worth the outlay, if I can make money on them then I might look to powder coat my own.

4x17" Ripspeed Alloy Wheels
Completed

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37171

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
I got a cheap set and refurbished myself. I'm very happy with the results. They only cost me some spare time and about £18 in paint and lacquer.

:omg: Cut four steel belted radials of the rims. :nonod:

I took mine down to my tyre fitter, said I'll be back in a week for four tyres, take them old ones off so I can refurbish the rims, here's a fiver, job done :thumbsup:

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37172

I would do exactly the same, i cut some tyres off rims before and what a job, and they were only textile belting, would not do it again. :evil:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment 12 years 3 months ago #37179

Angle grinder with diamond cutting blade should get through them, that coupled with some tyre irons I've got knocking about should do it. If not it will be a trip to the local tyre place and they can do the other 3!

What am I saying, Im the type of person who would spend 4 hours on 1 tyre with a junior hacksaw!

Those tyres will come off....
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.007 seconds