• Page:

Topic

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158631

• Hammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi.

New to the fold. I'm Ian but usually known as Hammy. I have just got me a TF - 52 plate 1.8 (135) with sport pack. I think it's Antthracite in colour... that's not really a good start I know, but in sunshine it looks blue...ish.
It has an MG Heritage hardtop included, a new plastic rear window, metal seat belt hooks, chrome roll hoops, chrome soft top catches. Very pleased with it. I picked it up on Friday and today gave it good clean, polish and clean of the interior. Actually that took me 6 hours in total.. but it kept me out of the house... missus in a bad mood (usually about nothing in particular as usual) so I tend to find something todo which doesn't involve being within 10 feet of her :)

So, pleased to be joining here. This is my first MG - always wanted one. I ahve had a few MX5's- MK3 and MK1. I have a MK1 in my garage presently that I ahve been spending the past 2.5years stripping down completely and rebuilding ground up...including engine. My MX5 before that was a Mk3 which I resprayed - back to it's original winning blue. What started out with some spots of aluminium rust on the leading edge of the bonnet... ended up with me respraying the whole car :nonod:

So, my MG. The head gasket had been done along with timing belt 4 years ago. There is some old looking oil in the header tank on the edges - just a little which previous owner said was residue from previous faulure. The coolant is orange and was last changed about 2 years ago when the coolant pipes nderneath were replaced. It's constantly at the level of the seam on the header tank. I am assuming this is correct yes? On the run, temperature gauge sits just below half way and after about 10-15 mins the oil temp gauge shows what i would judge as 80 degrees... is this correct. The heater blows hot and cold.

So, may I ask is all of the above all good or anything to worry about. I amaware paranoia is part of F/TF ownership... and I admit I am suffering from this :)

Today, the MIL lit. No idea why. It's stayed on (amber). Wasn't on yesterdya or Friday. The only thing that has changed was it absolutely pee'd down yesterday... I plugged in the heated rear window plug and I polished it... any clues or remedial fixes woud be very welcome, but I will search first.

So pleased to make your acquaintance.

Here's some pics from the missus avoiding, ;long drawn out machine polish clean :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158632

Looks a very smart motor you've got there :yesnod:
Every thing you describe is completely normal, so don't worry. Take off the tinnie & enjoy.

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158633

• Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks...and thanks :broon:

Tin top off now.. took it for a late evening run in the sunshine, top down B) just left it on to clean it. Now in a bag hanging on wall.

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158635

:welcome: from sunny North Wales.

Nice car with a nice colour combination going on too :broon:

Is that a mk1 mx5 I spy in the garage??

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158646

great car looks mint enjoy her :clap:
mid life crisis owner, fed up with teenage kids and barking dogs, so got me a tf.

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158651

:welcome: :beer:

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158653

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

That's a lovely looking car you've got yourself there! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158654

Whoa, Black Betty (bam-ba-lam)
Black Betty had a child (bam-ba-lam)
The damn thing gone wild (bam-ba-lam)
She said "I'm worryin' outta mind" (bam-ba-lam)
The damn thing gone blind (bam-ba-lam)
I said Oh, Black Betty (bam-ba-lam)

:welcome:

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158655

Class. :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158657

• Bertl
  • Away
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158660

• Hammy
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Yes, that is an MX-5 you spy in there..... ben two and a half years stripping down - and now being rebuilt.

Question. I moved the car tonight (hadn't used it all day) into it's new home - the MX5 out the TF in the garage. Clearly what must be a belt (alternator perhaps) started squeeling like a stuck pig... switched off, could smell a feint whiff of brning rubber.

Is that the alternator belt? best to change now....and if so, how much of a job is it to do?

ALso, coould that explain the MIL light that came on yesterday?

Thanks in advance :)

New to the club with a TF 8 years 10 months ago #158666

Hi and welcome to the world of MGs.

On my first ZS and my wifes ZR the MIL came on within a week of buying each but went a few days later, I suspect in both cases it was a change of driver to one more spirited causing the ECU to think OMG, these are strange requests for lots of full throttle, interestingly this didn't happen on the mk2 ZS that came from an enthuiast.

Reminds me of a story from McLaren, the telemetrics of a car in the middle east was reporting back to the factory that the car was redlining in every gear, the factory contacted the owner about the problem, he said, no, no problem...........

Search ebay for rose jointed alternator belt bracket, they are much better than O/E.

There is a how to in the tab on the left.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT