Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Laptop For PScan 1 year 11 months ago #199245

• TaffD's Avatar Topic Author
  • TaffD
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Can someone offer an opinion on the best laptop spec for running PScan. I have no idea what is good or not and currently don't have a laptop, I do have iPads and an iMac which are not suitable!

My intention is to buy a second hand laptop of the appropriate spec and then get PScan, so I can start fault diagnosis on my TF (EML light on)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Laptop For PScan 1 year 11 months ago #199328

Hi,

I'm also looking at getting Pscan at some point - looking at the requirements, Pscan should work on most laptops from the last decade or so. As long as it has USB ports and can run Windows or Linux you should be good. I can't imagine it needs a hugely powerful device.

When I get round to it, I will be using a Toshiba Z30 with a core i5 CPU @ 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM on either Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux. These can be found fairly cheap on ebay and they are good little laptops if they have been looked after.

Cheers
Darren

Laptop For PScan 1 year 11 months ago #199339

pscan will work fine on old laptops.
If you can manage it then I would recommend a lightweight Linux such as xubuntu.
Personally I use an old Lenovo T420s, and I also use old Dell D620 and D630s, but just avoid the ones with Nvidia graphics (the ones with Intel graphics are fine).
Mucking about in the garage is a kind of harsh environment; it is so easy to trip over a cable or drop it on the floor, and I think a dedicated cheap old laptop is the way to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DBMGTF

Laptop For PScan 1 year 10 months ago #199388

As Philip says, something old and cheap will probably be fine, especially as it going to get some 'hard' use. I use pscan on a 15 year old Toshiba running Windows Vista(!). The laptop was getting useless for most things due to its age but pscan seems to work absolutely fine. The main limitation is the battery life which is less than an hour with the current battery but I have mains power in the garage so even that isn't a serious limitation.

• Page:
Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT